Remastering for MP3?

• Members

This may be a stupid question, but I'm getting ready to put some new tracks on my band web site.

I have always wondered if anyone masters...or re-masters when they know the songs are going to be MP3's.

I typically use my Auratone Sound Cubes for reference of MP3's to make sure the mixes sound good on typical computer speakers..but I'm thinking of doing custom mixes.

Any thoughts?

• Members

I prefer to use 24/48 instead of 16/44.1 files to get converted into MP3.

Is that right? I have always converted all the files to 16/44 first.. I never thought of going right from 24/48 to MP3..

I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks..!

• Members

Just make the best-sound, appropriately dynamic mix you can, and convert to MP3 from the highest resolution your system can support. Use appropriate dither if you are going from higher-than-16-bit. Experiment with available Sample Rate Converters, dither options, and MP3 converters for the best sound.

From my experience, the best MP3s (or any other compression or streaming) come from the best mixes.

• Members

Thanks guys..

So far it seems that doing any special mastering specifically for MP3 isn't being done. I appreciate the tip to convert from 24/48 direct to MP3.. Hadn't thought of that.

I appreciate the advice.

Archived