70s classic strat vs jimmie vaughan st.

keith335

• Members

I know how is that certain models are hard to find. I heard the american deluxe ash tele was hard to find. do you find as I do that certain fender maple boards and necks are kinda off grainy, woody, not smooth. This is totally subjective but I like the tinted necks like the 52 re tele.

• Members
Originally posted by keith335

I've got a line on a 70s for 525, but I can't get past that huge headstock. It is natural with maple board which is the one I'd want if I got one. On the other hand the JV totally rocks. opinions please.

Sounds like you prefer the JV, but are tempted by a cheaper deal on the 70s?

I'd love both (if only bloody Fender made em left handed :mad:), but if you really don't like the look of the 70s, I'd steer clear. You could learn to love it over time, but there's also a big danger that you will only hate it more and the design quirks you don't like not will eat at you. How a guitar *looks* as a purely visual thing shouldn't in theory matter, but of course the reality is it counts in most cases almost as much as how it sounds. If you hate the look, it might count more.

If you want a particular finish that isn't otherise available, I'd think beyond Fender, maybe - Warmoth, for instance, or maybe Tokai. Tokai do a huge range of colours and will do any of them to order at no extra cost. Not sure whether natural is one of them or not.

You might also consider the Fender Lite Ash tele - if you don't like a black guard / plastics, you could replace those reasonably cheaply.

• Members

I'm not sure what you mean, but I guess QC does vary. I've played some Custom Shop axes that are horrible and some MIM Classics that were greatly better. You can definitely get a lemon.

This is why I wouldn't buy an expensive guitar on mail order.

• Members
Originally posted by metalcore

I'm not sure what you mean, but I guess QC does vary. I've played some Custom Shop axes that are horrible and some MIM Classics that were greatly better. You can definitely get a lemon.

This is why I wouldn't buy an expensive guitar on mail order.

well said

ever since i started playing ive mostly owned/played strats, but of course ive had my share of humbucker equipped axes for variety (LP, semi-hollow, shred-type, etc.).

i dont want this to come out like bragging at all because im not, but over the last 17 years ive had alot of strats from MIA, MIJ, MIM, copies of, superstrats, etc. anyone that looks for deals and scrounges all the local places when strat-shopping is bound to have had quite a few over the course of many years.

anyway - my point is ive had some really good ones, some crappy ones, and alot of in-between ones. i love strats, they are my life. and almost 2 years ago i went out hunting for another and figured id come home with another american deluxe as i seem to favor them. after spending a few days hitting all the local and semi local stores/pawnshops, i almost walked out of this store with a deluxe i had settled for. something told me to at least pick up that pretty lite ash strat i had been eyeballing on the wall. i figured that since it was made in korea it wouldnt stand a chance.

i picked it up and loved the feel, the extreme resonance and the quality i was holding. i hoped it translated well when plugged in. it sure enough did! i really love it and believe it or not its my soul-mate as far as guitars go. it just feels like it was made for me and has this great resonance and extra bite from the SD pups, but still has those sweet bell-like cleans.

anyhoo - all i was trying to say in all that babbling was that you should just play alot of everything that is within your price range, you may stumble on something that you love but would not have thought about trying. i dont care that my lite ash was MIK, all i care is how it feels/plays/sounds.

i got lucky and found one that came togther so tight, like it was destiny for that tree to meet that hardware! ive had strats that cost me $1300 that i would not trade this lite ash for. it means that much to me.

so ill never order a guitar again - i am convinced that id rather handpick my own and hopefully stumble on something that is a cut above the rest than i would to take my chances ordering and just "getting the next one in line".

with fender strats there is alot of differences from day to day, it depends on how well it came together when being assembled/cut. i honestly would not trade mine for the 2 previous EC model strats and a deluxe, ill never part with it ;)

• Members
Originally posted by fishfartz

well said

ever since i started playing ive mostly owned/played strats, but of course ive had my share of humbucker equipped axes for variety (LP, semi-hollow, shred-type, etc.).

i dont want this to come out like bragging at all because im not, but over the last 17 years ive had alot of strats from MIA, MIJ, MIM, copies of, superstrats, etc. anyone that looks for deals and scrounges all the local places when strat-shopping is bound to have had quite a few over the course of many years.

anyway - my point is ive had some really good ones, some crappy ones, and alot of in-between ones. i love strats, they are my life. and almost 2 years ago i went out hunting for another and figured id come home with another american deluxe as i seem to favor them. after spending a few days hitting all the local and semi local stores/pawnshops, i almost walked out of this store with a deluxe i had settled for. something told me to at least pick up that pretty lite ash strat i had been eyeballing on the wall. i figured that since it was made in korea it wouldnt stand a chance.

i picked it up and loved the feel, the extreme resonance and the quality i was holding. i hoped it translated well when plugged in. it sure enough did! i really love it and believe it or not its my soul-mate as far as guitars go. it just feels like it was made for me and has this great resonance and extra bite from the SD pups, but still has those sweet bell-like cleans.

anyhoo - all i was trying to say in all that babbling was that you should just play alot of everything that is within your price range, you may stumble on something that you love but would not have thought about trying. i dont care that my lite ash was MIK, all i care is how it feels/plays/sounds.

i got lucky and found one that came togther so tight, like it was destiny for that tree to meet that hardware! ive had strats that cost me $1300 that i would not trade this lite ash for. it means that much to me.

so ill never order a guitar again - i am convinced that id rather handpick my own and hopefully stumble on something that is a cut above the rest than i would to take my chances ordering and just "getting the next one in line".

with fender strats there is alot of differences from day to day, it depends on how well it came together when being assembled/cut. i honestly would not trade mine for the 2 previous EC model strats and a deluxe, ill never part with it
;)

That's a nice story man. It's so so true that hand picking your guitars is an infinitely better way of doing it.

• Members
Originally posted by fishfartz

sorry 'bout that reeaallly loooooonnngggg post,

i was basically trying to say just play everything in your price range with an open mind and your ears/hands will let you know which is the better buy for you

I playd a Lite Ash once. I was in heaven. It has power with teh SD's, the resonance of Ash with just a clear finish... Fender's just shooting themselves in the foot by not making them MIA but I guess it's better for us :)

• 9 months later...
  • Members

I talked to an older salesman from the Guitar center in Memphis yesterday on the phone and was asking him about the tone of the Fender Classic 70s Strat (vintage alnicos) compared to the Jimmie Vaughan Strat (Tex Mex overwound alnicos), and he said that if you turned your back on them you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two. He has over 30 years experience in playing Strats, so I would tend to believe him, but WHAT SAY YOU?

(There's not a 70s available here locally for me to try out)

One more thing.......I didn't see the larger "U shaped" neck of the 70s mentioned on this thread as a factor in comparing the two guitars. Why is that? Is there not a significant difference? I was under the impression that the U shaped neck on the 70s Classic is really big and chunky.

Ed

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Originally posted by etvetv2001

Is that the full name of it? Lite Ash Strat? Nothing more? I'm going to do some research on it.

I had one for about a week, but it had too many problems, so I took it back. Tried about 7 or 8 others, and they all had similar issues. High E string sounded like a sitar on most of them, which is probably caused by a poorly cut nut. Also, a bunch had difficulty staying in tune. The finish bothered me too- so thick and sticky which would start to bother me after playing for about half an hour. Aside from that, it really sounded great- very responsive and articulate-great pups, especially played clean. I wanted that guitar to work out really badly, beautiful looking to boot, but it seems like Fender cut too many corners in order to offer a guitar w/ so many nice features for such a reasonable price. Ended up getting an Ame. Strat instead...

• Members

I sent my JV back. Pups were way too brittle and harsh sounding for me. I gave it my best shot too. I'm just going to try to find some nice uesd pickups to put in my new upgrraded Fender Strat. Any suggestions? I just want a regular Strat tone.....not too weak and vintage...not too thick and modern.

• Members

cheap answer: GFS.

Top of the line: Lindy Fralins

Somewhat in the middle: see if that guy - wintageclubber is it? - who sells pickups and comes to this site regularly can give you a deal on some cool setup. He seems to know his stuff, and those who dealt with him were happy about it...

BTW, you may want to look into some Fender Fat 50s or, my personal faves from Fender, the Custom Shop 69s...

• Members

Originally posted by etvetv2001

Is that the full name of it? Lite Ash Strat? Nothing more? I'm going to do some research on it.

yeah, they also have a lite ash tele

its made in korea and has 22 medium jumbo frets, a birdseye maple neck, seymour duncan alnico pro II staggered single coils and kickass tone to boot

the body is covered in a thick finish that turns some people off but i worry more about the feel of the neck and how it sounds. if i wanted something to relic id stay away because the bodys finish is very thick. however the neck feels bare but im sure has a super light coat of something - but it still feels like smooth bare wood

i have played more than a few just to see if they all felt like the one i found but unfortunately they dont. but thats not because they are made in korea (not completely) - i can play 10 MIA standards and usually find differences among them right away

anyway, if you play some im sure youll find a killer one. i almost did not even pick it up because i was looking for another deluxe to replace my main deluxe that was ready to be retired. i tell you what man, after a few weeks of playing strat after strat i was almost ready to leave with this sweet deluxe i settled on when i did pick it up and i was hooked.

out of all the strats ive owned id say 70% were MIA, and i had cash that day for whatever i wanted but found something that really felt like home for not a whole lot (like $600 at the time)

its stood the test of time well, about 4 years and it still gets played 85% of the time while the other guitars just look at me like i molested them and then kicked them to the curb!

it is a sweet guitar. i did replace the bridge single coil with a single sized bucker but ill never replace the neck & mid pups, they rule.

it has a 9.5 radius so it feels great to me, i play as much rhythm as i do lead. i found one that just kicked my ass unplugged, and then amped it made me realize that i should always keep an open mind when strat hunting, sometimes you find a real gem and sometimes not - but they are out there.

i will say that in the past i have had 2-3 strats that impressed me as much as this one does but they costed over $1200, and considering the amount of MIA strats ive had and the lite ash being up there with the best of them - it makes me glad i found it.

Archived