Strat back plate?? Take it off?

jmingo

• Members

I'm all about the mojo. I bought a pot of SRV mojo wax to help my tone. I was originally spreading it on the guitar, but have since found that it helps tone better to smear it on your naked midsection before a gig. I swear by it.

• Members

Originally posted by datter

I'm all about the mojo. I bought a pot of SRV mojo wax to help my tone. I was originally spreading it on the guitar, but have since found that it helps tone better to smear it on your naked midsection before a gig. I swear by it.

Make sure you aren't using that reissued mojo wax crap though, it's not as good as the NOS vintage stuff with germanium powder.

• Members

Originally posted by atrox

If you don't have the bridge floating, the hole where teh strings go in do not line up. I leave it off so I wont have to take it off everytime I change strings

Bingo! Most Strat regulars who I know leave it off just for this reason. Nobody sees it anyway.

Unless you play Eruption behind your head.

In which case the springs will get caught in your hair.

Providing you have hair.

Plus we want to be cool like SRV!

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

Any player that's had to change a string quickly during a gig has learned the backplate serves no purpose except to slow that process down.

It's pretty standard to remove them. Guys were doing that way before anyone had ever heard of SRV.

It blows me away that something done out of convenience can be interpreted as hero worship! I always remove the back plate, even if the guitar has a Floyd. Making adjustments is much easier without it in the way.

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

Any player that's had to change a string quickly during a gig has learned the backplate serves no purpose except to slow that process down.

It's pretty standard to remove them. Guys were doing that way before anyone had ever heard of SRV.

Thread over! It's totally practical AND possibly even allows the guitar to resonate a little more. :p

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

... because all the tone and mojo of the sound waves bounce off the plate and are forced directly back into the pickups. I also drilled a few holes in the pickup cavities to allow the mojo to get to the pickups even faster!

i don't know much about mojo, but i don't think it's going into your pickups, since they pick up electromagnetic fields, not sound vibrations. if anything, the sound waves are going to your strings.

sorry, just being nit-picky

• Members

Originally posted by fifteen90

i don't know much about mojo, but i don't think it's going into your pickups, since they pick up electromagnetic fields, not sound vibrations. if anything, the sound waves are going to your strings.

sorry, just being nit-picky

You obviously are completely unschooled in the ways of mojo. Also, until you've drilled mojo holes in your guitar you really can't have a completely informed opinion can you?

Get back to us with your results once you've done the mojo drillin. I think you're in for a big surprise.

• Members

Originally posted by jmingo

Just curious if there is some sonic reason for taking of the back plate on strats??

Or does every one just do it because SRV did?

I took mine off for easier access to the springs and {censored} for the trem. Plus it's more comfortable against me when I play.

Archived