How to find a Producer

mathewsnow

• Members

I'm looking to record an EP in this Winter. I self-produced my last record, meaning I made all of the decisions on what sound went where, tones, how the song was sang, overall atmosphere of the song, etc.

I'd like to have a producer this time around--A fresh set of objective ears--that I can first throw my demos and have them make suggestions on how improve them both arrangement-wise and performance-wise; and then head into the studio with us and help guide those changes to fruition.

How would I go about finding such an individual? Does anyone have any idea of typical rates - from low to extremely high?

Thanks!

• Members

I'm looking to record an EP in this Winter. I self-produced my last record, meaning I made all of the decisions on what sound went where, tones, how the song was sang, overall atmosphere of the song, etc.

I'd like to have a producer this time around--A fresh set of objective ears--that I can first throw my demos and have them make suggestions on how improve them both arrangement-wise and performance-wise; and then head into the studio with us and help guide those changes to fruition.

How would I go about finding such an individual? Does anyone have any idea of typical rates - from low to extremely high?

Thanks!

Check out this guy, he's in the city:

http://mickyjamesfos.com/

If you're willing to travel to FL you can check out this producer:

http://www.myspace.com/hestlaproductions

He produced our album. Hope this helps!

-PJ

• Members

Hey Matt,

I recorded my first record with a friend who had the chops to hear my stuff and dress it up a bit. Now on my second record, I`m looking for a more produced sound so I`ve been shopping around and decided to use various producers for specific songs. I would give you the same advice, find someone whos sound you like. Granted, your songs will take on their own voice but it has to be someone you can trust first and foremost and who you obviously admire their work.

And nothing beats working in the same room with that person so if you can find someone local, that would be ideal.

• Moderators

If he was looking to attract clients, you think Mick James would invest a little more time and money in his website...

His credentials are impressive, albeit vague. But if he's making money playing music, he's a smart dude.

Maybe he needs to do a spin on the Dave Chappelle Rick James thing... ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Yeah, pretty much what maddy said.

Basically, find out who produced some of your favorite albums that sound closest to the direction you want to take your record in. These days, most producers have their own websites, myspace/facebook profiles, so they're usually fairly easy to contact. Just keep in mind that some of the bigger ticket guys only work with signed bands/artists, so your best bet is to go with an indie producer. Most producers in that vein will do a 4 song EP for around $5000, give or take, from tracking to mixing/mastering.

I've worked with a few of them, so feel free to ask any questions!

Archived