Finding the cure for GAS.

voneville

• Members

I've been on a quest to determine what guitar I want to buy to take with me to Italy in January. I've got about a $1200 budget, but that doesn't mean I want to spend $1200. It's really a mind boggling price range. There are so many cool guitars in the $300+ range.

It doesn't make it any easier that I like to play blues, rockabilly, garage, ska, and surf. I really need a tremelo on a guitar that's got to do everything I want a guitar to do.

To me the most versatille guitar that could suit all of those genre's and my personal needs/wants is a strat (or a fat strat with a coil tap in the bridge). Only problem is that strats don't really "do it" for me. They're playable, but they don't really inspire me.

I love Jazzmasters, but the trem just isn't stable enough for some of the stuff I play.

Reverends seem cool, but no one carries them around here, so it would take some work to find a shop that has them and try them out, and I don't know how I would feel about it in the long run. They did away with the bigsby and thats sort of a bummer.

Tele's are great, but I don't dig the Bigsby Tele's cause they're too heavy and just don't look right to me. It also eliminates string through, and I like string through tele's.

Gretsch G5129 I worry about feedback.

Les Paul Double Cut Faded with P-90's. I like the idea of that, and I have a bigsby B-5 that I could install, but worry about drilling holes in a guitar and ruining it's resale value (had this happen with another DC Lite).

The problem is that I love all the guitars I'm considering (except for the Reverend and the Schecter ultra III's because I haven't been able to test drive one yet).

Soo many guitars, so little room for luggage.

• Members

If you guys actually read that whole rant I'm impressed :)

Long winded gas :) haha.

I am definatley leaning that way (gretsch). I should have bought one of the Des Armond when I had the chance, and I'm sure the Gretschs won't be around forever either.

The dusenbergs are very cool. I can afford to buy more stuff in europe because my pay will be adjusted for the euro and transporting it won't be a problem once I'm there.

My senses say by a MIA fender. My I want to cool side says you can't beat a freakin hollow body with a bigsby.

If the artcores had better fret access I would have kept mine. I almost did just so I could look cool :)

• Members

I have a Gretsch 5127 and I love it. I don't have any feedback issues at all, and I play out live with it weekly. At the volumes I'm playing it doesn't feedback any more than any of my Strats do. My Variax's are the most versatile guitars I own, with their ability to make just about any sound across just about any tuning. But the Gretsch is the most fun guitar I have:

GretschEHB5.jpg

~Blackbelt

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

I have a Gretsch 5127 and I love it. I don't have any feedback issues at all, and I play out live with it weekly. At the volumes I'm playing it doesn't feedback any more than any of my Strats do. My Variax's are the most versatile guitars I own, with their ability to make just about any sound across just about any tuning. But the Gretsch is the most fun guitar I have:

GretschEHB5.jpg

~Blackbelt

Definatley a looker! I'm thinking my feedback issue's won't be as bad now, I'm using light overdrive from my chandler instead of crankin my distortion to 10 on my boss DS-1.

• Members

Originally posted by xbryanx

this could be cool:

HH american telecaster and drop some 57 classics into it.

i think im gonna do that when i get some money

I have a Squier Custom that I thought about doing that to. Does the american one has a strat style trem? The deadly combination is having money and the feeling I'm going to be cut off.

Archived