I'm about to do i Make the largest guitar related purchase I've ever made.

Excelsior

• Members

ohmg3hx.jpg

Anything I should remove/add?

I needed a cheaper acoustic, and the nice amp, and that's what I could afford. I Have picks/straps and such here, so no need for those.

Let me know if there's anything I should remove [humidifier okay? I live in Minnesota, fyi.]

I'm just a bit nervous. I'll buy it tomorrow morning hopefully when I wake up.

• Members

Alvarez make a good acoustic, built solid. I prefer them myself over the yamaha but the tac's are nice... As for the Valveking ?? not to sure about using it for acoustic. Check into something made for an acoustic... Kustom etc..

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

Have you played the guitar? I reckon Yamaha and Takamine make better guitars at that price level.

Is the amp intended for the acoustic? If so I don't think it's the best choice.

Oh, no.

The amp is for my electrics.

I have not had a chance to play the specific guitar, but from reviews it seems to be the best AE at that price level.

Originally posted by PaulS

Alvarez make a good acoustic, built solid. I prefer them myself over the yamaha but the tac's are nice... As for the Valveking ?? not to sure about using it for acoustic. Check into something made for an acoustic... Kustom etc..

AGain, no :p I just REALLY need to replace my crappy Crate so I can use it with my electrics.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Tonemeister69

Did you get 'em yet?

No, don't know whether you noticed, but my "gear" list is shrivelling by the day. They're all going apart from my MIJ Tele POS, and my BMW F650 is going, and once all my immediate bills are paid, the leftover is going to buy a Jeff Beck Strat:D This will then live with my soon to arrive Gilmore 1/2 watt head and "custom" built 1 x 12 cab. QED.

• Members

I know you didn't post so folks could review the guitar that you purchased, but surely I would go for the tak myself.

I have both the tak and alv, ... hands down in quality, playability, tone, etc. tak takes it home.

your guitar is your decision though, good luck with it, and post some clips!

• Members

I've never played a Takamine I like, and I've played many of them over the years. Back when Garth Brooks was big shiznit, everyone around here went Takamine crazy. They felt cumbersome, yet cheap.

On the other hand, Alvarez, mmmmmmmmmmmm. I've not played too many of them, but the few I have really were memorable guitars. Excellent brand choice. Can't wait to hear how that paticular model treats you. Side note, a friend of mine has an Alvarez Yarii (sp?) classical that is absolutely lovely. Even the Flamenco guitarist I used to work with found it to be acceptable, and anyone that knows how dang picky a Flamenco guy is should appreciate how great a compliment that is.

The amp is a cool choice, depending on your style of music. The Classic series is more my speed, but I've heard great things about the Valve King.

The capo, I would have gone with the Planet Waves capo. I got one as part of the beta test they did over at guitar.com LOVE it. So small, unobtrusive, light weight yet it is uber secure. Kinda pricey usually though.

I have the same case for my Washburn and it is a decent, utilitarian case. An SKB would have been a better choice. More money, and probably not much better protection, but more durable and not so cheap feeling. But, this one serves my needs just fine.

• Members

Originally posted by seaofstrings

I know you didn't post so folks could review the guitar that you purchased, but surely I would go for the tak myself.

I have both the tak and alv, ... hands down in quality, playability, tone, etc. tak takes it home.

your guitar is your decision though, good luck with it, and post some clips!

I compared some takamines in this pricerange and checked out the reviews, people said the cheaper takamines weren't as nice sounding. Comsetically, they were good, but just not very good sounding.

But that's only a few people who reviewed them online. I couldn't find many that disliked the acoustic/electric Alvarez, so I decided I'd take a gamble and see how it is.

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

I've never played a Takamine I like, and I've played many of them over the years. Back when Garth Brooks was big shiznit, everyone around here went Takamine crazy. They felt cumbersome, yet cheap.

On the other hand, Alvarez, mmmmmmmmmmmm. I've not played too many of them, but the few I have really were memorable guitars. Excellent brand choice. Can't wait to hear how that paticular model treats you. Side note, a friend of mine has an Alvarez Yarii (sp?) classical that is absolutely lovely. Even the Flamenco guitarist I used to work with found it to be acceptable, and anyone that knows how dang picky a Flamenco guy is should appreciate how great a compliment that is.

The amp is a cool choice, depending on your style of music. The Classic series is more my speed, but I've heard great things about the Valve King.

The capo, I would have gone with the Planet Waves capo. I got one as part of the beta test they did over at guitar.com LOVE it. So small, unobtrusive, light weight yet it is uber secure. Kinda pricey usually though.

I have the same case for my Washburn and it is a decent, utilitarian case. An SKB would have been a better choice. More money, and probably not much better protection, but more durable and not so cheap feeling. But, this one serves my needs just fine.

There was no Classic 30 online :cry:

Oh well. Just as well, it's only a practice amp.

• Members

Originally posted by Excelsior

I compared some takamines in this pricerange and checked out the reviews, people said the cheaper takamines weren't as nice sounding. Comsetically, they were good, but just not very good sounding.

But that's only a few people who reviewed them online. I couldn't find many that disliked the acoustic/electric Alvarez, so I decided I'd take a gamble and see how it is.

There was no Classic 30 online
:cry:

Oh well. Just as well, it's only a practice amp.

The ValveKing will be fine for gigs too. It's voiced a bit different than the Classic, but will do almost any style except hi-gain (the Classic isn't the obvious choice for hi-gain either).

Archived