Hear me out here... Samick guitar

Gammy

• Members

Hello there :wave:

I'm considering buying a cheap Samick (:o ) Strat copy as a backup, second guitar.

I am a man of limited finances (:cry: ) so this is a pretty good bargain from my point of view.

I reckon I can get it for about

If you like it, it plays well and has a nice tone... why not?

It's not an investment. It's a tool. If it sounds like crap or plays crappy.... I wouldn't spend .02 on it!!

For $50 what have you got to lose if it plays well and sounds good??

• Members

If u have the model number, that would be very helpful.

that said, the greg bennett models are very nice, especially the medium to high ends. i have the LP copy, the Avion 3 which i play to death everyday. considering their corsair bass and their strat copy, the Malibu 3.

hope that helps.

• Members
Originally posted by dilin

If u have the model number, that would be very helpful.

that said, the greg bennett models are very nice, especially the medium to high ends. i have the LP copy, the Avion 3 which i play to death everyday. considering their corsair bass and their strat copy, the Malibu 3.

hope that helps.

For some reason the model number doesn't seem to be anywhere on the guitar....

Trust me, I've looked all over it :confused:

Originally posted by Frets99

If you like it, it plays well and has a nice tone... why not?

Well the price has been raised to

• Members

Can't speak to your model but I have an Ultramatic -4.
It is a piece of work. It is amazing quality.
I thought it would be junk when I bought it (especially for $200 + shp).
I would definitey take it as a backup and not think twice about it.

If the one you are looking at is decent quality. It's worth $50.00

• Members

I love my Samick Malibu. Pickups are stronger than my G&L ! I paid $140 brand new. I hope the Indonesians who made it fared OK in the tsunami. Ghastly business that.
Don't understand the thing about the strings- I think your friend is mistaken.

• Members
Originally posted by TheGammy
Hello there :wave:

I'm considering buying a cheap Samick (:o ) Strat copy as a backup, second guitar.
I am a man of limited finances (:cry: ) so this is a pretty good bargain from my point of view.

I reckon I can get it for about

• Members

Samick makes some very nice mid and upper mid end stuff, and they have made a lot of very beginner level stuff over the years

there's no way of knowing from your words, really - but look at it this way - the chances of it being worth less than $50-60 are pretty slim

• Members
Originally posted by Prages

Even if it's a 3/4 size guitar, it's still going to use the same size ball ends on the strings.

You sure your buddy knows what he's doing?

That's a very good point. The man's a bit of a pseudo guitar expert.

Thanks everyone for all your advice, and I've decided to go with it.
I'll post pics asap if you want them.

:wave:

• Members

Samick's factorys are in Korea and up until about 3 years ago they made about 40% of the entire market of guitars coming out. That included Epiphones and tons of other stuff that got rebadged. Now that a lot of the contracts have been sent to China and Indonesia I think that they don't make nearly as much of the market now.

I have an Ultramatic 3 and an AV6. Basically a PRS and an LP knockoff (both non tremolo) and I love both of them. I also have a MIA strat and a MIJ Ibanez. I like all of my guitars, but I play my AV6 the most by far. I absolutely love it. My old man came to visit a few months ago and he was really impressed with it and he is a Gretsch/Rickenbacker guy to the core.

Chances are there are a lot more people out there that play guitars that were made by Samick and they will sit there and swear all day long that because it has a different name on it that it is a better guitar. If it is a Korean made guitar it probably was made in the same plant.

• Members

Absolutely right,Ashasha. Just because it has name-brand X on the headstock,some stooges in here will argue to till the stars burn out that thiers is the better guitar-just because of the logo-even though not a single American hand even touched the thing when it was being built,but was actually made under license or contract by Samick-to include most of the guitars played in recent years with Epi,Ibanez,Esp,Jackson,Charvel and several other "brand" name makers. If the guitar feels,sounds,plays and perhaps even looks like what you want and can afford,enjoy it.
Ive long since seen the light on the subject of if it has X brand on the headstock.

Archived