3 broken bottles and one slide

voneville

• Members

If I wasn't so drunk I might not have broken the last two :) J/K... I think I am going to go buy one. My first attempt came out "okay" but not great. The last 2 didn't come out at all. Cutting glass bottles is freakin tuff.

• Members

Originally posted by sglespaulartist

Maybe you should just buy one and save yourself the pain. Or even better, keep trying at the bottle think and I'll keep laughing:D

Wow, someone's a bit of a jerk.

It can't hurt to be able to do something like that yourself, hell, it could end up making you some money.

• Members

Originally posted by sglespaulartist

Maybe you should just buy one and save yourself the pain. Or even better, keep trying at the bottle think and I'll keep laughing:D

Well, at least it's bottles I have in the recycler and I'm not going out paying money for bottles to break. And I already own a glass cutter, so I'm not out anything there. I'll perfect it yet. I think modern glass makes it much tougher. I should go to the antique store and buy up all the vintage bottles I can find. :)

Then you'll have every right to laugh!

toilet.gif

• Members

You don't cut bottles for bottleneck slides.

It is usually done by scoring the bottle all around at the point were you want it to break (I have also known people to tie string around instead of scoring). You heat the bottle up in a fire or oven and then dunk it into cold water (shock it). If done right it should split right where you want it (and the rest of the bottle may shatter some).

But it will probably take more than 3 bottles to get the feel of it, anyway. Once you get the hang of what works best, then you should be able to pop them out one after another.

Of course, grinding and smoothing the edge is a must.

• Members

Originally posted by voneville

Well, at least it's bottles I have in the recycler and I'm not going out paying money for bottles to break.

Duane Allman just used an empty Coricidin bottle (over the counter cold pills). I know you can actually buy Coricidin slides now for about $10, but you may look around in your medicine chest first and see if you've got any small pill bottles in there that would work without cutting.

:idea:

~Blackbelt

• Members

Don't try it in an oven-kind of dangerous. I just use a small candle-score the glass with a $2 glass cutter, heat over candle, run under cold water-usually repeat 3 to 7 times or so before it breaks-don't force it to break-just twist a little. If it doesn't break, try some more heat. Sometimes you'll hear a little "tink" when it's ready to break. I've made a couple dozen and get it 4 out of 5 now. I was only about 1 out of 3 in the beginning.

• Members

A friend of mine that owns a glass company (windows, mirrors, custom glasswork) showed me an easy trick for making a glass slide:

1 empty Chianti wine bottle (or wine bottle of your choice, preferably a THICK glass)

1 hacksaw with a *NEW* CARBIDE blade

1 roll of masking tape

1 morning (or plenty of time) when you are SOBER

mark the length of your cut, wrap a half dozen or so layers of masking tape and using the thick layer of masking tape as a guide, draw the carbide blade back & forth letting the weight of the saw do the work.

it WILL take quite a while to score & cut through the glass, but when you are finished you will have one 'lil wicked glass slide - you may wish to take some emery cloth to smooth & bevel any sharp edges.

the only drawback is you'll find yourself buying a lot more bottles of wine so you can add more slides to your collection!

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

Duane Allman just used an empty Coricidin bottle (over the counter cold pills). I know you can actually buy Coricidin slides now for about $10, but you may look around in your medicine chest first and see if you've got any small pill bottles in there that would work without cutting.

:idea:

~Blackbelt

You know, I read about Duane Allman and the Coricidin bottles when I was a kid. Sure enough, there was an almost-empty Coricidin bottle in my parents' medicine cabinet. I figured it had to be a sign that I was destined to play slide guitar.

It wasn't. :(

• Members

Originally posted by USian Pie

You know, I read about Duane Allman and the Coricidin bottles when I was a kid. Sure enough, there was an almost-empty Coricidin bottle in my parents' medicine cabinet. I figured it had to be a sign that I was destined to play slide guitar.

It wasn't.
:(

:D

• Members

Originally posted by USian Pie

It wasn't.
:(

what happened, bro - did you eat the contents of the bottle?

that ain't right :o

or did you find out that the bottle was too wide for your finger & was made out of flint glass that breaks REAL EASILY? :eek:

• Members

i never thought about making my own slide. thank you gentlepersons - gotta be politicly correct eh? - i'm going to try some of the methods. with any luck i'll have two fingers left to fret and pluck with.

how much does a carbide blade run these days?

• Members

The medicine bottles they sell now are actually military surplus urinalysis sample bottles! Unused, of course. They work well for electric guitars with lighter strings I've been told.

I bought the Joe Perry Ceramic slide. I like it, it's comfy and the ceramic absorbs sweat. Doesn't sound as nice as my bottle neck (to me anyway). I just couldn't bring myself to spend the 12 bucks on something I can make with enough practice.

I will try the candle idea, thanks for the heads up. I can score the glass with my cutter, but when I break it that's when the catastrophe's happen :) I've heard thermo-shock was a subpar method, but gently tapping with a socket wrench hasn't really worked for me.

By the way, a schnapps bottle has a really nicely shaped neck. I just have to finish the bottle and I'm giving that one a whirl, probably tonight.

• Members

i've done it with a really fine hacksaw blade. it's slow but you can think to yourself while you're doing it

if you use a file or blade make sure you clean it often, run it under the sink or something to get all the glass dust out

Archived