125th AES show - what else has caught your eyes and ears?

• Members

I know I'm a little late to the party here, but I went to AES on Sunday and there were a number of GAS-inducing new products. As a ProTools user, I'm looking forward to PT8 also. Probably the most impressive thing for me was at the Spectrasonics booth with their new Omnisphere software synth. It looks and sounds absolutely amazing. I've been primarily a hardware synth user and have a nice collection of them, but it may be time to join the soft-synth revolution. I was also very impressed at the Eventide booth with their new guitar fx processors. Pretty pricey for a stomp box, but they sounded great.

The Modfactor and Timefactor are indeed amazing pedals; and since they're switchable for line or instrument levels, and have USB (and 5 pin DIN) MIDI jacks, they're also more than capable of serving "double duty" in the studio, as well as serving as standard guitar pedals. Both are very flexible and good sounding pedals, with the ModFactor being particularly flexible - it can do the job of several other (phaser, tremolo, ring mod, chorus, flanger, etc.) pedals. Considering their flexibility, sound and capabilities, the price tag doesn't seem at all unreasonable to me. :idk::)

Not really "brand new releases", but highly recommended anyway. :phil:

As far as Softsynths, other than the Kurzweil SP2X we just added (as much as a controller as for the onboard sounds, although I do have a lot of love for that Kurzweil triple strike piano! :love: ), all of my recent "keyboard" and synth purchases have been software. As a Pro Tools user, you should definitely check out Xpand (a new version is slated for inclusion in PT 8), and especially Velvet, which is BY FAR the best sounding Electric Piano in a box I've ever heard. Frankly, it blew me away...

Archived