Absolute best tuning keys out there???

Meatbeard

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the same problem on my gibson. I have a les paul standard limited edition, with metal button kluson tuners. I've had this thing set up a couple of time by three different places, all pretty well known and recommended on Long Island, they've checked the nut, I string my guitar properly, I lube the nut with graphite or big bends nut sauce, and go through the same motions with all my guitars. I've never had a guitar go out of tune as much as this les paul. It must be the tuner, I don't know what else it could be. I want to put the grovers on, but because I have the klusons there now, I want something that will fit into the holes. I saw that Grover makes the kluson style tuners also. Does anybody know if these would be better than the stock klusons I have on there now?

• Members

Originally posted by xbryanx

well... if your saying his guitar isnt staying in tune because hes not winding the strings with the right technique.... and locking tuners pretty much do it for you... then wouldnt getting locking tuners be his solution?

not in every instance......if his situation is string slippage and tuning problems and *IF* it is caused by a poorly cut nut, poor string technique, etc then even locking tuners will not make a difference.

i would have the nut looked at, and while im at it have it changed with whatever i preffered (earvanas are cool) and eliminate that problem. but again if its simply a matter of not stringing properly learning a new stringing technique will help alot.

i played for quite a few years before i learned about the loop stringing method (not to be confused with the reach around method) and it makes all the difference in the world provided you have a good weel cut nut and decent tuners. i used to just insert string and hold as tight as i could while twisting the pegs. this is just asking for string slippage and tuning problems.

the loop method is a good defense against these problems. if its not the stringing method or the nut then yes - locking tuners (or any other better tuners) could be the answer

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

but again if its simply a matter of not stringing properly learning a new stringing technique will help alot.

i played for quite a few years before i learned about the loop stringing method (not to be confused with the reach around method) and it makes all the difference in the world provided you have a good weel cut nut and decent tuners. i used to just insert string and hold as tight as i could while twisting the pegs. this is just asking for string slippage and tuning problems.

the loop method is a good defense against these problems. if its not the stringing method or the nut then yes - locking tuners (or any other better tuners) could be the answer

Hmm, what is the loop method?

I have used many methods (most without knowing the name) but the one I currently use is one of the easiest, and I'm not sure it's any less secure than any of the methods designed to help reduce string slippage.

Simply, I wrap the string around the post twice or so (starting at the bottom and wrapping up), hold the wraps with one finger while I thread thru the tuner, bend the threaded end back in the opposite direction of the wrap and cut. I've only used this on about 4 string changes so far, but it works for me, and is neater and faster than any other method I've used. And I have no tuning issues yet.

• Members
Originally posted by wannabshredder

Just get sperzels. I put them on all my guitars. 4 to 5 twists of the keys and I'm in tune ready to rock. That's why I'll never unload $1500 or more on a LP or Strat. Dated hardware design. Milking the cow for all it's worth.

I'd vote against Sperzels. They're not the most accurate tuner around. I feel that with Sperzels I have to mess more with the tuning to get it accurate while with tuners that have higher gear ratios the tuning is smooth and easy. It's not that Sperzels don't work, there are just units that work better!

Anyway, here are my instructions for stringing non-locking tuners. I've used them for years with many different guitars and any tuning stability problems I've had have been because of nut or bridge problems, not tuner issues.

For plain strings:
stringing01.gif

For wound strings:
stringing02.gif

• Members
Originally posted by dabbler

Hmm, what is the loop method?

I have used many methods (most without knowing the name) but the one I currently use is one of the easiest, and I'm not sure it's any less secure than any of the methods designed to help reduce string slippage.

its hard to explain without a picture

when you put the string through the hole pull it all the way tight through, then (for strats or the left 3 side) wrap the string around to the right and under the same string then pull it back over the top of the same spot to make a "loop" (or lock), wrap it around the top of the post - then start twisting - much better tuning stability than simply inserting the string and twisting.

i strung up my guitars for years by simply inserting them and start twisting before i found out about the loop method that locks the string and keeps it from slipping. it really works

Archived