Best guitar under $800

Johnstinkpants

• Members

I need a new guitar but I have the problem of having to travel a pretty far distance to try anything out. I want to narrow it down a bit to what I should be looking at. I say under $800 dollars but take into account I live in the UK and its often horribly expensive for guitars here!

I want a solid body. It must have a humbucker in the bridge, but other PUs I don't mind

I play: Classic rock, punk, stoner rock -all types of rock basically excluding modern metal

I like: QOTSA, Kyuss, Led Zep, Weezer, GnR, RATM, Thin Lizzy, Smashing Pumpkins....basically I like listening to and playing riff-based rock

I don't like really pointy guitars. Looks are important to me but I like quite a few styles.

At the moment I'm thinking about the Edwards E-LP-90-LTC:

E-LP-90LTC_VW.jpg

and the Godin LG Hmb (which I find kind of ugly)

GodinLGs1.jpg

What do you recommend? What should I be looking at?

I need help here people!

• Members

I vote for the Godin defiinitely. Just fantastic guitars. In the U.S. you could also get a used Godin LG Signature foraround $550 like I just did, or get one new for about $900. You'd have to save a little more, but that would be my number one choice assuming the price is about the same in the U.K. The other guitars I like at your price point new are the ESP LTD EC1000 guitars and the Schecter Blackjack series. The Schecter Ultra III looks cool too, but I have yet to play one. If you are willing to go used, I also like the G&L Legacy HB, which is an HSS strat style guitar. That one is rockin' too and goes for about $600 used.

• Members

you might consider a Gibson Studio Vintage Mahogany Les Paul as well. i picked a like new brown one off ebay for $550 w/ hsc. the guitar would be great for stoner rock like QOTSA.

i also saw that myrareguitars.com is selling a eastwood guitar thats a model of the ovation like the qotsa singer uses. think its under $800.

Eastwood

• Members

For just under $800 you should be able to find a used SG and possibly a Studio LP.

Lp Specials (with p90s) should be well under that price as well.

I've heard great things about the Faded V, but it is by definition a pointy guitar.

Those would get my votes.

• Members

I have a few Gibsons, but damn that edwards is nice. I've never heard of guitarjapan.com, make sure they're reputable.

For 8 bills you can definitely get the worn brown studio at Guitar Center. I did. It's a great guitar and I would recommend it.

• Members

I have one of these and I love it, it's not to flashy but it get the job done. I played in a punk/hardcore band using mainly this guitar and it would do anything I needed it to.

I've seen them sell cheaper if you keep an eye out.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Special-SL-Humbucker-Electric-Guitar?sku=517279

If you have any questions about it let me know

Lucas S.

• Members

That's a nice-lookin' Edwards.

If you're considering going used, I'll +1 brunog on the LP Special - other than the TV yellows, the mid-90s p100 Specials can be got for under $800 and are well worth it.

The DC Faded w/p90s ain't bad either - under $800 new, around $500 used. Also, used G&L :thu:

• Members

i agree with the used sg idea.

either that or a used carvin *which you actually play first*, not bought sight unseen.

an sg classic can be had used for like 600 bucks.

every bit as good as a standard, swap pickups if needed.

• Members

Some good ideas in here I hadn't thought of

However a lot of people are recommending Gibson, which I find strange since usually people say they are well overpriced, have QC issues, etc

In this price range would it not be better to steer away from the big name brands in the hope of getting more bang for my buck?

Correct me if I'm wrong

• Members

People like to bash Gibson. There also happen to be some good values in your price range with Gibson on the headstock. I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Partially, it's going to depend on what you want in a guitar - how are you defining BANG? If you're looking for something LP-styled and you want a carved top, binding, etc etc, that will clear out all of the Gibsons mentioned so far.

But it would make checking out an Epiphone Elitist LP Standard or Custom very much worth your while :thu:

• Members

BC Rich, Jackson, Schecter, Epiphone, all make excllent guitars gettable new for $800 & under where I live. Dunno about UK prices. But I do know there are several very nice Uk and European brands that would cost you much less over there, then theyd cost me here in USA. Check out whats available from UK & Euro mfg including smaller lutheirs whose stuff seldom if ever gets imported to america. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Archived