Does anyone remember Guitar Shop magazine???

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

It`s been a few years since they quit printing this mag., but it was great. All gear oriented stuff. Gear reviews, head-to-head gear trials, artist rig breakdowns and gear related interviews. It was my fave guitar mag. at the time. They had some killer gear shootout articles.

I love reading and learning about new guitar gear. Guitars, amps, effects, etc. It`s all good. Especially when you live in the middle of nowhere and all your local shops carry is Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Crate, Peavey. There is a lot of killer gear that I`ve never even seen in person and probably will never play.

I wish it was still around. Oh well.

Eric

• Members

Lisa Sharken and Pete Prown used to write for them.

Pete was OK, but Lisa, more often than not, demonstrated her limited knowlege of the instrument. Maybe she's gotten better, I don't know.

The mag itself way gear-related, but in a complete channel-switching/lock-nut annoying kind of way. Nothing at all for people who weren't into shred.

• Members

I still have a couple old issues in my book shelf at home.

I agree, it was a good read. But it was bad for fueling up your GAS.

I've also got a couple old "Buyers Guides". They were annual additions. I can't remember if they issued that or not. But those were also very valuable since they had the features, materials and prices of practically every bass and guitar manufactured during that "model" year.

But I do remember getting turned on by the description of an ESP "The Eclipse" after reading a "Guitar Shop" article entitled "Posh Planks". They made it sound like a marvel of versatility. Then years later when my lust for one was finally satiated by purchasing a used piece, I was far from ecstatic about the tone of the guitar. And I particularly thought that its reference to being suitable for a wide range of music, including country and jazz, was erroneous. I mean, we're talking EMG 81s here. I thought it would be a marvel, now I'm an EMG biggot. :D

Point being, yeah more to read, but no more reliable.

• Members

Originally posted by Kap'n

Lisa Sharken and Pete Prown used to write for them.

Pete was OK, but Lisa, more often than not, demonstrated her limited knowlege of the instrument. Maybe she's gotten better, I don't know.

The mag itself way gear-related, but in a complete channel-switching/lock-nut annoying kind of way. Nothing at all for people who weren't into shred.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Lisa was less than knowledgeable. Too bad she's writing for Vintage Guitar now...

:(

• Members

Originally posted by JC777

OK back on topic.

I like most of the Brit mags but they a crazy expensive.

I used to pickup Guitar Technique and I think it is 14.99

Saw one this weekend that was 18.99

bought a Guitar Techniques mag for 12.99 when i went to Minneapolis last week.

Archived