How long before Facebook does a MySpace

Poker99

• Members

I used Facebook as a sort of local newspaper.

I am "friends" only with old friends, and people, bands, institutions right in my local area. So I am very much aware of a lot of stuff that is happening, and it saves me from having to read the local entertainment magazine, which would only carry some of this stuff anyway.

If a band or individual only uses their Facebook band to promote their band, then I "unfriend" them. If they use it as a personal extension of themselves, talking about politics, current events, or crazy stuff that interests them, then I keep them, and respond back to them, having the threaded conversations.

It is hard to believe how MySpace can have such ugly web pages. I never did do MySpace.

• Members

I just love the look of disappointment on people's face when I'm asked if I'm on Facebook, "Nope!"

"Why not? Everybody's is on there."

"Everybody except me, so it's not everybody."

Honestly, there are more people on Facebook that I'd rather avoid.

If I don't talk to you now, why would I want to talk to you if I haven't seen you in 10 years? But I guess FB is great if you want to live in your own past.

• Members

Myspace has always been better than facebook. Better layout, easier to find your friends, etc..on facebook I have to dig to find the friend I want to chat with, there is no "friends list" or at least there's no obvious one I see.

Plus people on facebook are like what 12yrs old on average hahaha, facebook sucks.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Really I believe Facebook is incredibly useful, if solely for the purpose of remembering peoples names. I'm 100x more likely to remember a name if I become FB "friends" with someone than if not.

Also I've personally found it at least semi-useful for working out gig swaps and befriending other bands. Sure it'll go down sometime but it's not all bad.

• Members

You know, reading back through this thread (because I'm bored,) one thing jumps out at me - that people can say that Facebook is a time waster for other people. It surely is a time waster for some people, but not for everyone. My parents, aunt & uncle, cousins, etc all use it to keep in touch and for that purpose it definitely can work very well. I also liked the comment about using it as a sort of local newspaper. My buddy's band just updated their website - read it on Facebook, went to the site, had a look. So I think it's all in how you use it. That and hiding and unfriending the annoying people.

We just seem really judgmental, like we know what's best for everyone. I'm glad that people are different than me. It means the liquor store is rarely sold out of Chimay.

• Moderators

You know, reading back through this thread (because I'm bored,) one thing jumps out at me - that people can say that Facebook is a time waster for other people. It surely is a time waster for some people, but not for everyone. My parents, aunt & uncle, cousins, etc all use it to keep in touch and for that purpose it definitely can work very well. I also liked the comment about using it as a sort of local newspaper. My buddy's band just updated their website - read it on Facebook, went to the site, had a look. So I think it's all in how you use it. That and hiding and unfriending the annoying people.

We just seem really judgmental, like we know what's best for everyone. I'm glad that people are different than me. It means the liquor store is rarely sold out of Chimay.

Yeah, I hear you. I find it handy for getting a general idea of what's up with my family and social circle... birthdays, parties, DJ nights, and so on, and for hearing from friends what they think of current movies, books, or albums. Or upcoming local shows.

It probably gets fifteen minutes of my time every other day, and it's not like I'd be devastated if it dissapeared tomorrow. It seems like an odd thing to have a strong opinion about either way.

I use it for band stuff too, mentioning upcoming shows or album releases, but it doesn't really take any more effort than doing so on MySpace did.

:idk:

• Members

People have strong negative opinions because it's wicked popular but they don't like it. I don't know why this happens but we all do it, to some extent. I bet someone could write their Master's thesis on this topic. I bet someone already has.

From a business standpoint (this being the Music Biz forum) it makes perfect sense to use it, because so many people are on it. I know I've sold CD's because of it, and I've had some people come to gigs because of it. And I've gone to shows because of it. If you have a product (live performance, recorded CD) and you want to sell it, then I'm not sure why you would not use it. Mailing lists are fine but email is old hat to a great number of younger folks. They're into texting and Facebook. They're not checking their email as frequently as their Facebook page. Only us old farts check our email all the time. Actually most people I know are notoriously bad about checking their email.

But a musician's time is limited, so you do have to choose where you put your time. I use Facebook, BandCamp, my own website, and Google Calendar. I used to use Twitter and MySpace, but MySpace turned into someplace that I would not want to point anyone to. And Twitter never got me good results.

• Members

All I know is that "myspace" is a famous word, a "name brand". There is an entire generation of kids who grew up and Myspace was THE place to be. So that word is in their heads, and I think, given even 10 years, there could be some value in it - things turn around all the time, and the "analysts" and "experts" rarely actually know anything. I work for Ford, 4 years ago we were written off as dead weight, along with the entire American auto industry - it was common knowledge, everyone "knew" what was gonna happen. Now they're raking in billions again, so all those "experts" were idiots - I remember them mocking Ford for taking the loans that kept us from going bankrupt. And the thing they used to get those loans, was literally their "brand name", they bartered the blue oval symbol, and the banks went for it, because they understand the power of name recognition, etc. (That's not the only reason of course, but it was a big one).

• Moderators

Name brands still fail and vanish...have you seen a Woolworth's lately? They were the biggest brick and mortar retailers at one time (they morphed into FootLocker). How about Robinson's-May? Or Montgomery Ward?

Twenty years from now, Myspace will be a dim recollection, and advancements in technologoy will make our current version of the internet a nostalgic memory like black and white tv and 78RPM recordings.

• Members

I LOVED Woolworth's. My grandmother used to take me there - early 70's - and she'd let me pick out a new GI Joe. It was the best thing ever when you were 8. I remember the toys, the little diner inside the store you could eat at... I'm sorry it's gone. It was a great place to go. Unlike Walmart. Walmart stores have no style, no character, and no soul.

Myspace will be a dim recollection, yes, unless someone comes in and does something different with it.

Archived