Will a Tele neck fit a Strat? & vice versa?

nonreglA

• Members

I believe that the heal of a strat neck is more rounded at the bottom than a Tele neck. A Tele neck is more "Square" at the bottom. Unless you are handywith wood, A local luthier can "square off" the neck cavity so that the tele neck will fit properly onto the Strat body.

• Members

Originally posted by Wyatt

No, a Tele neck will not fit a Strat body,

However, vice-versa is possible (though you would need a custom pickguard to hide a gap).

I beg to differ. Allen Collins of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tommy Bolin and Jimi Hendrix all used Strats with Tele necks at one time or another. So it is NOT true that a Tele neck will not fit a Strat body. And as I had mentioned, a Strat body needs to be routed slightly to fit a Tele neck.

• Members

Originally posted by leopardstar

ok how about a squier tele neck fitting into a MIM fender tele?

i want to make a blacked out tele, and squier has the neck i want, but fender has the body.
:confused:

Why not? I believe you CAN cross fit a Squier Tele neck with an MIM Tele body.

• Members

Originally posted by DADGADammit

why would you want to?? are tele necks more comfortable?

because i want to build a blacked out tele, and when i went to ebay the only fender neck that had the black headstock face was $499:eek: do you know of any other fender black headstock necks?

• Members

heres something I just put together. Got the 2 piece FJ body on line...stamped custom order in the pocket and have another FJ strat that has p`ups that don`t sound good to me but I don`t want to mess with it because it too is a custom order guitar...so I just took the tele neck off it and put it on the FJ body I just got. Should be noted that a standard tele neck would not fit as well as this one...mine was made to fit the strat body.

Pic is not that good...broke my own golder rule of never taking only one pic of anything...I will take a better one eventually but for now, this has to do...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/shot-glass/fjtelestrat001.jpg

• Members

because i want to build a blacked out tele, and when i went to ebay the only fender neck that had the black headstock face was $499:eek: do you know of any other fender black headstock necks?

Well, a new unfinished Warmoth neck, a spray can of black paint, and some Tru-Oil for finishing won't cost a whole lot more than 200 $...

Here's what they say about the neck/body-problem:

'The heel shape of Strat

• Members

Originally posted by DADGADammit

why would you want to?? are tele necks more comfortable?

Because Strat headstocks look cool on teles.

I have no experence doing the swap, but I see no problem doing some woodwork as long as you don't {censored}-up the scale.

• Members

Originally posted by RomanS

Well, a new unfinished Warmoth neck, a spray can of black paint, and some Tru-Oil for finishing won't cost a whole lot more than 200 $...

You can put clear-coat over spraypaint?

• Members

Look for a Fender Contemporary tele...the black ones are completely black as are the Contemporary black strats...

they were made in the 80's in Japan...They come in a variety of different pickup selections...Sometimes can be found on ebay between 300. and 400.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Chris Gansz

I beg to differ. Allen Collins of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tommy Bolin and Jimi Hendrix all used Strats with Tele necks at one time or another. So it is NOT true that a Tele neck will not fit a Strat body. And as I had mentioned, a Strat body needs to be routed slightly to fit a Tele neck.

Yes so the answer is really no it wont fit....without routing or easier, reshape the heel on a belt sander making sure to remove no materials from the centre part of the heel so the scale length remains the same.

• Members

True. Maybe not a direct swap, but it CAN be done!

pic_jamesgang_rehearsal.jpg

• Members

case in point - my franken-test monster...:o

P1010006.jpg

Archived