NEW GUITAR DAY!! Fender American Stratocaster HH

GAS Man

• Members

StratHH001.jpg

I'm posting this cuz I hope someone will reward me with the HCEG parade with the bouncing boobies, et al.

Thank you very much. :D

But I'm riddled with some doubt. :(

Maybe I'd have preferred the black on black. :confused:

Plus it's sounding a little "tinny". I expected a warmer sound. But it does obviously have some Fender Bullet 9's on it, so that's not helping the mattter any.

But I'll be scratching my head on this one. Usually, I eventually fall in love and keep them, but since I got no bargain on this puppy at $975, I'm going to have to give it some thought.

[i paused and played it some more.]

I've been A/B-ing it next to my MIK Blackout Showmaster.

The Strat HH is glassier with more strat tone and complexity compared to the Showmaster with a '59 and a PG+.

And the Show is possibly a little warmer, especially in the neck.

I think maybe this HH fails as a classic strat tone machine, but will do well as an overdrive strat classic rocker. It's got the "glassy" but it seems to be a little weaker in the warbly roundish out-of-phase strat tone.

The H-S and the S-H settings (S-1 Switching) are good sounding and the bridge pup ran through the ToneLab set at the the 68 Plexi reminded me of EC's "Cocaine" tone.

But this machine isn't the "no brainer" in the tone department that my last arrival, the SRV, was for me. :freak:

I would still like a parade, thank you. :D

• Members

How many different amp settings have you tried her on. I bet if you go through clean, mild overdrive, overdrive, distortion, ludicrous distorion and face melting solo settings you will find what you need.

And don't forget to use the tone controls on the guitar and amp

I apologize if this is all redundant. No offense intended.

• Members

Originally posted by go cat go

How many different amp settings have you tried her on. I bet if you go through clean, mild overdrive, overdrive, distortion, ludicrous distorion and face melting solo settings you will find what you need.

And don't forget to use the tone controls on the guitar and amp

I apologize if this is all redundant. No offense intended.

None taken. I know exactly what you mean and I would guess that in there somewhere IS where this axe will shine. I started off clean into a Fender Deluxe Reverb and then went to the Vox ToneLab into a JC 120, and with that, I've been doing some experimenting with the different modelings.

So far I think it does do better in the higher gain settings. It comes through with more of a complex tone and less just plain fuzzy than most HB guitars.

And yes, I've been twisting the tone controls a bit.

Need to keep playing with it.

Thanks

• Members
Originally posted by RudeMood

Congratulations! I like that blue a lot.
:thu:

*damn it...where's wedgehed II with the jiggly titties? someone needs to put a bell on him or something*

Pah-leeese! Yes. Where are my jiggly titties! ;)

Thanks for the appreciation of da blue. I was pretty sure I wanted the blue, but I'm wondering now if I might prefer the black. hmmmm

• Members
Originally posted by machine gunner

Two buckers in a Strat- sacrilege!!
:o

I always agreed with you on that, but after I acquired a MIJ 60's strat, a 50th Anniversary Deluxe, a Bad Boy Blue deluxe and a SRV (all four are SSS models), I decided that I wouldn't mind checking out an HH on a strat platform.

Plus this bugger has 10 different tone settings. A 5-way switch with S-1 tapping.

So it has a mix of splitting and series/parallel settings.

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

I always agreed with you on that, but after I acquired a MIJ 60's strat, a 50th Anniversary Deluxe, a Bad Boy Blue deluxe and a SRV (all four are SSS models), I decided that I wouldn't mind checking out an HH on a strat platform.

Plus this bugger has 10 different tone settings. A 5-way switch with S-1 tapping.

So it has a mix of splitting and series/parallel settings.

Interesting. Wouldn't mind hearing some sound samples...:idea:;)

• Members
Originally posted by batotman

I've been hearing alot of talk that Fender humbuckers suck. So far I kinda agree with the exception of the Floyd Rose one I just got.

Congrats on one cool looking geetar!

I played it a little more this morning and I do think the pups are unique, not sure if they suck for sure or not.

But IMHO, they definitely don't do the single coil thing as well as traditional strat SCs, but for crunchy tones, they do add some complexity and harmonics that ring right through the fuzz and crunch. (A pessimist might just call that "bright")

The jury is still out.

I just hope I'll only keep it if I find a deserving niche for it rather than keeping it out of procrastination.

But I was thinking it could be my "crunch strat". :D

Whatever happened with your Custom Shop Showmaster? Did it go down the road? What pups were on it and how were they?

• Members
Originally posted by batotman

I've got both Showmasters, the standard and elite. Elite is for sale. It has SD Custom/Custom and a Pearly Gates. The Standard has 2 Fat 50's and a SD JB. I'm planning on changing the neck pickup to a Texas Special.
:thu:

Why are you selling the two Elitist's?

Anything wrong with them, or did you just get tired of them, or what?

I know someone that was interested in getting one, but that was a month or so ago... I'll check with them and see if they still have an interest..

Archived