Last night I saw the light re:expensive vs cheap guitars

saintdel

• Members

Last night I jammed for the first time with another guitarist and a drummer. It was an eye opener in many ways. One thing that I couldn't believe was how good the other guy's Gibson LP sounded compared to my '51 and GSA60. Playing at bedroom levels as I have been for two years, the '51 has been totally fine, always sounded good to me. The GSA60 I've had only a couple of weeks and I was forming the opinion that I didn't like the sound of it much. Then last night, I plugged into a Marshall 30w, the other guy had a bigger Marshal, don't know what exactly, and we cranked up to match the drummer. God damn, the '51 sounded like {censored}. Maybe I didn't have it adjusted right or something, whatever, I switched to the 60 and it punched through much better. But the Gibson.... the tone of that thing was so fat, even clean, you could have spread it on toast, yet it was very defined. So two things I've learned: 1) playing at higher volumes changes the sound of a guitar and 2) maybe those high buck guitars aren't just flash for more cash.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by saintdel

1) playing at higher volumes changes the sound of a guitar and 2) maybe those high buck guitars aren't just flash for more cash.

As you state that you typically play at bedroom levels, I'd afford more weight to the former than the latter. It takes some time and effort to get a sound at high volumes that you'd be happy with.

• Members

Nice story but I'm sorry, I think the only thing that told you was, "don't run a '51 into a Marshall".

I'd be willing to stick my neck out and say that if you'd played your '51 through a Fender Blues Junior next to the Gibson LP, the '51 would have been the tone winner.

But in any case, guitars need the right amp.

A Marshall with a Gibson LP is a classic combo since the somewhat more shallow sound of the Marshall is a great compliment to the thick tone of the LP.

But the '51 needs a warm resonant amp like a classic Fender for it to shine.

All IMHO of course.

• Members

Originally posted by chevette

have you done anything to improve the '51 from factory setup? ie, new pups, etc.

Up unitl now I never thought it needed improvement. I'm going to try it again. Last night was my first real jam and I was maybe a touch overwhelmed at first which is when I was using the '51. But, damn, that LP.....

• Members

are you saying

the LP through the 'bigger marshall' sounded better than your guitars through the 30watt marshall

or

the LP through the 30watt marshall sounded better than your guitars through the 30watt marshall

?

• Members

Originally posted by yabba

are you saying

the LP through the 'bigger marshall' sounded better than your guitars through the 30watt marshall

or

the LP through the 30watt marshall sounded better than your guitars through the 30watt marshall

?

The first one. Duh, guess that might make a difference.

• Members

Originally posted by ArKay

Well, so do some of my guitars. They still don't sound like any of my LP clones.

I'm not saying I expect my '51 or the Ibanez to sound like the LP, I'm saying the '51 sounded terrible and I'm complimenting the LP tone.

I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to take my $99 SX LP clone to the next session and see what that sounds like through that Marshall.

• Members

The first one. Duh, guess that might make a difference.

;)

in my experience, the amp is going to make MUCH more of a difference than the guitar.

maybe try plugging your guitars into the bigger marshall next time and see if you like that (EQ on the amp may have to be adjusted a bit to match your guitars)

edit: too slow, you're already planning to do this :) good! :thu:

• Members

Here we go again. Someone challenges one of the highly touted crappy guitars that everyone around here thinks is great.

First of all, I believe Saintdel. He's the first one that has the balls to tell us what it's like to put a $120 guitar up against a $2000 guitar. He called it like he heard it, and now you folks will accuse him of all kinds of stuff.

Fenders sound GREAT thru Marshall amps (Hendrix?). I play my Custom Shop '56 NOS and my MIJ Jazzmaster (Duncan pups) thru my JTM and DSL Marshalls more than I do through my Fender and Vox amps (all are valve amps). They sound fabulous, and the LOUDER the BETTER.

Not so with those crappy '51s with their cheap wood (I wouldn't even call it tonewood), low end electronics and soulless pickups. Even if upgraded, it's still a crappy low end guitar.

And, yeah. Saitdel is correct. At bedroom levels and for recording, I'm sure they are just fine. But he's absolutely correct. The true test is to crank a good valve amp up to 100+db and see what happens.

• Members

Jumpin' Jesus, so I've learned all this {censored} about guitars over the past two years and now I have learn about amps? Oh, when will it ever end?

I figured the amps were a factor, but didn't think they would be THAT big of a factor. Guess I'll be going back to school.

• Members

...But the Gibson.... the tone of that thing was so fat, even clean, you could have spread it on toast, yet it was very defined...

An LP played through a properly dialed in Marshall in the hands of a guy that knows what he's doing is pretty much the gold standard for good tone.

Not saying that's the only rig that can sound good but if you're not sure, the good old LP/Marshall rig is always a good starting point.

• Members

Jumpin' Jesus, so I've learned all this {censored} about guitars over the past two years and now I have learn about amps? Oh, when will it ever end?

I figured the amps were a factor, but didn't think they would be THAT big of a factor. Guess I'll be going back to school.

heh, at least it's a fun education, eh!

• Members

OH, that's an easy one...

It never ends. In fact, even when you think you've got a finger on some little part of it, the weather will change or your sweat will get more acidic and everything you thought you knew will fall apart.

Welcome to music...and instruments...

That's why we've got boards like these.

Z

• Members
Originally posted by Burgess

An LP played through a properly dialed in Marshall in the hands of a guy that knows what he's doing is pretty much the gold standard for good tone.

Not saying that's the only rig that can sound good but if you're not sure, the good old LP/Marshall rig is always a good starting point.

Oh and before you go rush out and buy yourself a whole new setup, there's a very good chance that guy could've taken your rig, dialed it in and made it sing. I've seen it happen too many times to keep track of.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeffrey

Here we go again. Someone challenges one of the highly touted crappy guitars that everyone around here thinks is great.

First of all, I believe Saintdel. He's the first one that has the balls to tell us what it's like to put a $120 guitar up against a $2000 guitar. He called it like he heard it, and now you folks will accuse him of all kinds of stuff.

Fenders sound GREAT thru Marshall amps (Hendrix?). I play my Custom Shop '56 NOS and my MIJ Jazzmaster (Duncan pups) thru my JTM and DSL Marshalls more than I do through my Fender and Vox amps (all are valve amps). They sound fabulous, and the LOUDER the BETTER.

Not so with those crappy '51s with their cheap wood (I wouldn't even call it tonewood), low end electronics and soulless pickups. Even if upgraded, it's still a crappy low end guitar.

And, yeah. Saitdel is correct. At bedroom levels and for recording, I'm sure they are just fine. But he's absolutely correct. The true test is to crank a good valve amp up to 100+db and see what happens.

I could make that rig sound {censored}in great - how's that for honesty and balls?

and you could, too

and you know it

Archived