PT upgrade is driving me insane! (hopefully final hurdle)

• Members

I thought I'd throw this all your way, as you've been really helpful in the past.

I've spent hours frustratedly trying to sort this, and if I have to look at that eeeevil Duck picture one more time I'm going to sell my gear and invest in a deerstalker hat and a shot gun! :mad::wave:

I run an HP Laptop, PT 7.4 ran pretty well through my only little firewire output (turns out to be 4 pin, but hey, it worked), and on my internal drive (yes I know, shouldn't, but I did)

So reaching for PT8 I bought an external firewire drive, a 2 slot firewire express card. And after numerous bumps and hurdles i've found myself at a stage where Pro Tools works fine, but whenever I run this ExpressCard, which means running Pro Tools, it knocks out my Nvidia video card and everything goes into 4 bit colour! I've tried to work while working on the problem but I'm getting headaches.

Any thoughts??

Further details on my problem and the system is on the DUC thread where some guys tried to help me out.

Any input hugely appreciated. I've sent an email to startech, who made the card, but I'm not expecting miracles from them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't think you'll get a better answer here than you did on the DUC. Can you run other firewire devices on the express card adapter without disabling the graphics? Try it--at least you'll know if you have a Pro Tools problem or an incompatible computer hardware problem.

Step one: Check to see if there are updated drivers and BIOS stuff for your computer, and if so, try installing all of them, one at a time, and see if that clears up the issues.

If that doesn't work, I suspect a compatibility issue with either the express card, or your graphics card. If you can, try running PT without the express card (using your internal drive - just for testing purposes). I would imagine the express card is somehow causing the issues, and by taking it out, you might be able to confirm that...

• Members

Cheers guys.

Phil you're totally right. I got loads of recommendations for rolling back drivers, but nothing on BIOS. I re-ran some updates and all is well on the graphics front. Thanks!

I'm still getting intermittent HW/Buffer issues, after going through hours of tips to get my machine as strealined as possible. The saga continues, but for now things are working. I can now settle down to work on my EP.

Cheers guys, keep well.

Archived