So close to ordering a Carvin Bolt Kit

u6crash

• Members

Anyone want to talk me into or out of it? I'll be getting the hardtail kit with ebony fretboard, 10" radius, and stainless steel frets. I've also considered a maple board and/or standard frets.

More than likely I won't be using the Carvin guard or pickups. I'll probably order one from Warmoth and move the controls ever so slightly. While I could go with all Warmoth or all USA Custom Guitar parts (or whomever), I think a Carvin kit is a more economical way to go for the first one.

If anyone has one, how does it compare to the Am. Standard Strats that I'm so used to in terms of feel?

• Members

There is no reason not to order one, except the dopey headstock shape. They play and sound excellent and are quality. I have a swamp ash with Sperzels and a hot humbucker in the Wilkie bridge. It is versatile as hell. The only gripe is the model I have has a thin neck that is like an Ibanez neck. I prefer more meat, and I think the new bolt necks are more strat C shaped.

• Members

I'm actually getting one with an unshaped/undrilled headstock. It isn't a standard option, but they said I could do it. I was thinking of ordering it tomorrow, but I may wait until Monday so I have the weekend to think over my options.

• Members

I have never heard any thing negative about the Carvin bolt kits. It should make a fine guitar.

Be very carefull drilling the tuner holes as a headstock can be cracked very easily.

How are you going to finish it? I would suggest going to reranch.com and using nitro lacquer. I have painted many guitars this way and have gotten pro results everytime. I just don't think the tung/tru oil finishes look very good, I think the only reason many people go with the tung/tro oil is that is a little easier than using real paint, but it looks so ordinary.

Max

• Members

I'll probably be using the ReRanch nitro on the neck, but I think I'm going to use the StewMac waterbase lacquer on the body. The reason being that I'm going to custom paint some stuff on it with acrylics, and I'm going to build it up slow.

• Members

Originally posted by u6crash

I'll probably be using the ReRanch nitro on the neck, but I think I'm going to use the StewMac waterbase lacquer on the body. The reason being that I'm going to custom paint some stuff on it with acrylics, and I'm going to build it up slow.

I sprayed Re-Ranch nitro on my Bolt. I didn't use sealer or filler on the maple neck and it looks fine. I rushed too much with the nitro on the body and it looks a little crappy, so take it slow whatever you do.

• Members

No grain fill or sanding sealer is needed for a maple neck.

On the body depending on the wood you should grainfill and do the sand and sealer steps before you start paining your acrylic. You want to have a very level smooth surface to start with or your final finish will have pits and will not be mirror smooth and glossy.

Max

• Members

I had a Carvin Bolt I bought from some dude...it was very good, had a great sound and was not very expensive, especially used.

The neck was sweet, but the pickups were a little weak. I never tried adjusting them, though. I just sold it 2 weeks after I got it.

• Members

Originally posted by maxnew40

No grain fill or sanding sealer is needed for a maple neck.

On the body depending on the wood you should grainfill and do the sand and sealer steps before you start paining your acrylic. You want to have a very level smooth surface to start with or your final finish will have pits and will not be mirror smooth and glossy.

Max

Yeah, I'm going with the swamp ash body so I'll be putting grain filler down and then spraying a coat of ReRanch white for my base. Then I'm hand painting the other stuff.

Just got a look at my credit card bill and I might postpone ordering a bit. Two weeks should be plenty of time.

• Members

I've built two Carvin kits. The first was a Bolt-T. I painted it bright yellow with Black hardware. Looked pretty sharp. I sold it to buy something else. My second kit was a Bolt Plus. I waited 6 months to get a one peice koa body. It's super sexy and I wouldn't give it up for the world. I'm in the middle of dropping some Duncans in it right now. Can't wait 'till I'm done. :thu:

Archived