Help with EQ for my mix

• Members

Hey, so I'm pretty new to recording, and I'm trying to EQ all the tracks on my first mix. I'm recording a funk / electro / hip hop band. I've done some reading and I think I've got my drums sounding good. Here's what I've got for drums: On the kick drum I've got a HPF at 30hz, 1.0 Q boost around 70 hz, and 1.4 boost at 5khz. Fo my left and right condensors I've got a cut around 200 hz and a boost around 4 hz. For the snare I've just got a boost right in the middle around 1 khz. I haven't dealt with toms yet b/c our drummer doesn't really use them.

Ok, so for bass guitar, I'm a bit clueless. I've been reading on of the posts here and I'm seeing a lot of different suggestions, I guess it's different for the sound you want. I want a dub sound that still cuts through, for a funky hip-hop band. All I've done is boost around 200 hz, and I like the tone. I've read that I need to make sure the frequency is not boosted at the same frequency as the kick drum. Do I need a spectral analysis for that? Anything else?

I play the guitar, and I pretty much try to keep my EQ good before I record. Any general suggestions outside of what I've done on my amp?

I've got keyboards and a lot of synth too, which I'm clueless on because the range of sounds is all over the place.

Oh, and I haven't added vocals, but any suggestions on that would be appreciated too.

I know it's a lot of questions, thanks to all!

• Members

not sure if my methods are normal or not, but that is a lot of detailed EQing for someone new to recording. I would suggest spend more learning time just LISTENING to the track/mix and playing with the EQs. reading is good and all but if you want to get good, and KNOW the feel of EQing, gotta just play with them a LOT. You mixes could be good without having to EQ a lot - maybe adjusting the level instead.... of course it depends on the desired effect in the end.

My advice: start with everything mixed without EQ, listen, and add/remove what sounds and feels better

Archived