Help! My guitar won't intonate!!!

apostrophe

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am at a loss here... "No change" across the entire adjustment range of a TOM just can't be unless one or more of the core wires of the wound E string is broken... If his action was set way high, the fretted note would go sharp, not flat. The only thing I can think of is that the bridge has somehow either been re-located or was originally installed in the grossly wrong position to begin with. It could always be flat if that was the case, but you would still see some change in how flat with change in saddle location. This is not making sense at all...

• Members

What brand strings are you using? I've had DR strings where one string could not be intonated no matter what. On the guitar I had to actually take the saddle (it was a Wilkinson VS100 so the saddle could be lifted out of its groove and placed further on the trem plate) and move it WAY forward to get intonation working. When I replaced the string I returned the saddle to where it belongs and had no intonation problems.

• Members

Originally posted by Greg Bogoshian

I am at a loss here... "No change" across the entire adjustment range of a TOM just can't be unless one or more of the core wires of the wound E string is broken... If his action was set way high, the fretted note would go sharp, not flat. The only thing I can think of is that the bridge has somehow either been re-located or was originally installed in the grossly wrong position to begin with. It could always be flat if that was the case, but you would still see some change in how flat with change in saddle location. This is not making sense at all...

I too am at a loss! It doesn't make any sense! And it wasn't just the low E, it was the A also! After I couldn't get the intonation of the A to change at all either, I put the guitar away and called it a night!

The Dot is a 2005 and I bought it brand new last August. I am using D'Addario 11-50 with wound G....

....I MUST be doing something wrong!

• Members

Originally posted by Greg Bogoshian

I agree...it HAS to change, even if it can't be made perfect.

If a core wire in the low E were broken, he probably couldn't have tuned the guitar in the first place. I'm flummoxed. :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

What brand strings are you using? I've had DR strings where one string could not be intonated no matter what. On the guitar I had to actually take the saddle (it was a Wilkinson VS100 so the saddle could be lifted out of its groove and placed further on the trem plate) and move it WAY forward to get intonation working. When I replaced the string I returned the saddle to where it belongs and had no intonation problems.

I guess it's possible that if a string had inconsistencies in diameter over its length, that the position of harmonic nodes might be screwed up, and that the frequencies of the fretted notes might be peculiar and impossible to intonate.

I've never encountered this, but hey, it could happen.

A $4.00 set of new D'Addarios is cheaper than a trip to the tech.

I'd try fresh strings.

• Members

Raising or lowering the tailpiece could compensate for an inability to intonate. I had to raise the tailpiece on my 7 string to get my low B to intonate.

Having said that, you should still hear some kind of change in intonation by just moving the saddles back and forth.

If you arent then that is really odd.

• Members

Originally posted by apostrophe

One lovingly home cooked meal to the one that comes over and figures out what I am doing wrong!

Come on, I'll make my homemade pasta sauce and you'll have the best Gnocchi you ever tasted! Plus my wife will make a pie!

:)

Send the guitar, gnocchi and pie to me. I'll fix it :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

Intonation with DR's for me too on several guitars...rediculous. No more DR strings for me.

• Members

Holy crap! I effed {censored} up so royally last night!!!!

I tried to lower the PU and lowered it too far! Now the two screw/springs that lower/raise the PU are loose and I can't get them back into the PU!!

I can see the two little holes they are suppused to go into but I cant get them both to go back!

Man I REALLY dont know wtf I am doing!!!

• Members

Originally posted by apostrophe

Holy crap! I effed {censored} up so royally last night!!!!

I tried to lower the PU and lowered it too far! Now the two screw/springs that lower/raise the PU are loose and I can't get them back into the PU!!

I can see the two little holes they are suppused to go into but I cant get them both to go back!

Man I REALLY dont know wtf I am doing!!!

get your ass to a tech before you do some real damage!

Archived