Recording Basics?

• Members

I was just wondering some recording basics in the recording software. Like just for basics what do you add to each track like reverb? compression? other effects?

Like what would you had the following?

snare

overheard

tom

kick

hi-hat

mic'd guitar amp

bass guitar

sax

violin

acoustic (di)

male vocals

Personally, I'd mic that acoustic instead of running it direct whenever possible, but that's just me. :o:)

As far as processing and effects, there really is no "standard" way of doing things; each song has its own requirements. On some songs, and depending on how everything was recorded, you might not need compression at all, or on every individual part. Same for EQ, although it wouldn't be uncommon to have a compressor and EQ on each one of those channels / instruments.

I normally wouldn't run effects "inline" on the individual tracks. I normally would use an aux buss, and an aux return with the effect (reverb or delay or whatever) inserted as a plug in on the aux return. Then, by adjusting the level of the aux sends on each channel, you could control the amount of reverb each instrument gets. If you're going to use a bit of the same type of reverb on several instruments, this saves computer resources vs inserting multiple reverb plug-ins on each individual track / channel.

• Members
Personally' date=' I'd mic that acoustic instead of running it direct whenever possible, but that's just me. QUOTE']

No, it's not just you:thu:

I'd have to agree with pretty much everything Phil said - but then again how we work may not work for you. Unlike pretty much everything else in life, there really are no set rules in art.

Some people like to compress everything A LOT

I prefer to only use it if absolutely necessary.

Some people like to wash the mix in reverb.

I prefer to use a few different reverbs on groups of instruments to give the mix more depth.

Some people like to use every FX they have, sometimes trying to create one that's never been heard before (good luck with all that).

I tend to go sparingly, sometimes using an effect on a small segment of a single track.

With the instrument list you provided I would probably:

a) Roll off the low end of the OH's and HH

b) Apply a fairly long reverb to the drum mix (a little more on snare a little less on kick).

c) Apply a short verb to the miked-Guitar (rythm)

d) roll off the low end and apply some echo synced to the bpm of the song on the miked-guitar (lead)

e) DI the bass - perhaps reamp it after the fact.

f) slightly compress sax and roll off top and bottom, apply whispy reverb tail.

g) compress the violin, eq to taste of the song, apply medium reverb

h) X/Y mic the acoustic, no compression, little-to-no reverb, roll off bottom end.

i) Compress and eq as needed to fit in the mix. Medium verb with slow attack.

Then again, once I heard the actual tracks you have to work with, I might do everything totally opposite what I just said.

• Members

Count me in for micing up an acoustic guitar. Then again, I also mic keyboards and basses through amps, which hardly anyone does.

Anyway, you got some good advice from the previous posts, so I'm just gonna say...get the best tone out of the playing and instruments in your room as possible and use a fantastic signal chain and have a fantastic arrangement so you don't have to use your plugins or EQs for correcting poor sounds.

On sax, try a ribbon mic if you can get your hands on one. Remember that the sound of a Sax doesn't just come out of the "bell", but also the pads along the body of the instrument, so placing the mic back a couple / few feet is generall a good idea. I like to have it placed about 3' back, and aimed between the player's two hands.

Archived