Converted Tunes TOO QUIET IN MYSPACE

• Members

Hallo, I use Ableton 8 and master my tunes in there and they sound fine but when I render then convert to mp3 using audacity, then put on myspace they always sound too QUIET!!! If I go back and up levels it then sounds distorted!

What am I doing wrong??

• Members

You arent mastering properly, and your gain staging is too low.

Heres a tutorial of how to master. The key is the DB level before mastering and then using a brick wall limiter to bring it up to CD levels.

You can follow this guide step by step. You can substitute tools if you dont have what they have. For a compressed format, you may want to roll more bass off. it wont be heard anyway in most cases. Keep your mixdown at 24 bits untill all steps are completed. Convert directly from 24 to the compressed formay you're going to use. Skip going to 16 bit then MP3 or whatever. That extra step causes extra sound quality losses. (Of course rip it to CD quality as well for burning CDs but use the 24bit as your master you're working from.

http://www.har-bal.com/index.php?/mastering-tutorial.php

• Members

Thats why I mentioned trimming the bass down, it prevents the song from being loud enough. When I think compression I think AM radio and pop music. Boost mids, keep bass in the upper frequencies, Boost the vocals, and crush it with a limiter. Not much for dynamics, the voice needs to carry alot of it.

The beatles and Stones had it down during the 60s for AM radio with their mono mixes. Everything could be heard even on the crappiest 3 transistor radio with a 1" speaker. Mix your tunes on a dinkey speaker or earbuds and it may translate to a reduced 8 bit compression alot better.

Archived