opinions, 335 without the $$

kurt1981

• Members

+1 for old Ibanezes. I have a 2630, Artist series, which came before the Artstar series when Gibson sued Ibanez... I have one of the lawsuit era 355 clones with flame maple, block inlays, ebony fretboard, and gold hardware... needless to say, it kicks ass. I got mine local, but I'd look on ebay.

• Members

Originally posted by hyperviolet

don't mean to hijack, but which of these cheap hollowbodies plays best unplugged? i haven't had an acoustic in a while and wondered if any of these sounded decently enough unplugged for just picking up and practicing for a while...dont wanna annoy the roomates.

A hollowbody will not sound like an acoustic.

• Members

Don't forget the Epiphone Elitist 335 Dot:

elitedot12.jpg

It would probably help if you would tell us just how much less than $2500 you want to spend: right now the recommendations range from $99 guitars to others well into the four-figure range.

• Members

Originally posted by Ramblin

Washburn HB35. Amazing guitars, and some of them come with "buzz feiten" tuning system. Mine has it, and it sounds great all over the neck. Pretty good PU's too. I love mine.

nat.jpg

I have one and they are pretty surprising. I paid 350$ new and it was perfect out of the box. The pick ups grow on you.:thu:

• Members

The problem with "budget" 335 style guitars is that they look like 335 all right but beyond the look, they must lack something because a semi-acoustic is quite involved as far as building goes. And to get the most of this design, you need quality material as well. It's not the cheapest design to build and a lot of cheapos end up being more a prop than a real instrument. There could be a price point where it's possible to be lucky but why gamble for a couple hundred bucks less than a sure thing?

I think it's safer to go to the point where you just know that they're good : MIJ Epis (Elitist, Sheraton), Heritage, Yamaha SA's and beyond.

• Members

The Oscar Schmidt OE30 Delta King that I snagged plays fine and I like it just as well as any ES 335 knockoff, under a grand, that I've picked up in the past few years. Even if you don't like the way it sounds or plays, you can prop it on a stand and marvel at what the Chinese can produce for under $100 wholesale, or you can get drunk and light it on fire onstage.

• Members

I've come close to buying a new-old stock Hamer Echotone at my local shop quite a bit over the past few months. It has some Duncan Designed pickups and the guitar sounds good. I just keep telling myself that what I want is a Gibson 335, so I end up holding off. The bad thing is that I like the look of the Larry Carlton/early 70s 335s that have the small block inlay and that puts it way past my price point.

I went over and jammed with a guy that had scored some older Yamaha one that looked and sounded great. The thing was from 79, but it looked more like it was from 99 as it was in such good shape.

I'd like to see one of the Epiphone Elitists hollow bodys in person. I finally saw one of the Les Pauls and was pretty impressed. If their 335/Dot guitar was that good, I'd be really temped.

Archived