Best CDs for purchase with Acoustic Drum Beat Samples?

• Members

What are the best CDs with royalty free "Acoustic Drum Beat" samples?

I could sample and loop drum intros like "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith, "I've Got My Mind Set on You" by George Harrison, "My Sharona" by the Knack, "Heartbreaker" by Pat Benatar, etc. but I don't want to get in trouble by doing that if I were to release a CD of my own with these samples.

I've noticed when I've demo'ed around with the aforementioned "real beats" I sampled and looped, that my whole demo ends up sounding MUCH greater than when I use a software drum machine.

My question is.. are there any CDs out there consisting of strictly royalty free drum beats on par in quality with the Live Acoustic Drums "snippets" I've mentioned above? I'm looking to play straight-ahead rock, if that helps. Nothing like hip-hop, jazz, or jungle. I'm looking for standard rock beats similar to the ones in songs by AC/DC, ZZ Top, The Beatles, etc.

I'm not looking for individual drum sounds like a kick, snare, or hat I can put into a sequencer. But instead, I'm looking for actual "live organic beats" I can loop. Ideally, beats that were recorded live in a studio and sliced so you can loop the samples back-to-back.

• Members

http://www.drumdrops.com/

These sound phenomenal. They are super genre-specific, though. I have the dub volumes and "fistful of drummers." The dub stuff is straight-up old school, slow tempo dub. The fistful collection is more upbeat, but every single beat has a swing. There are no straight beats. If you're working in the right genre, though, these are about as good as it gets.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Lots of great info above! I would also add that Logic Pro 9 comes with 20,000 royalty free loops, many of which are acoustic drum loops that to my ears sound really great, and Logic makes it really easy to work with them.

• Moderators

I got the most mileage out of Drum Tools from the Sony ACID site. The old Sonic Foundry stuff. It's the Swede guy from Roxette playing some straight ahead pop rock stuff with absolutley usable, simple pop/rock performances.

So much stuff turns into drum solos that they're unusable for me. Depends on what you looking for I guess. But if it's support rhythm section pop drums you want... Drum Tools.

Archived