Phil, Can You Elaborate On This?

@ ~1:15, there felt like there was a bit of a 1/2 step off pitch clam in the lead guitar part. :idk:

I would have preferred hearing a real drummer on the track. The programming and tones weren't bad, but I think the track would benefit from the tones, dynamics, variety, feel and "groove" that a good drummer can lay down naturally. I also would suggest a bigger bass sound and bottom end. There are times when the arrangement gets bigger and more insistent, but I am missing a bit of that "power" you get from the bottom being appropriately full and supportive and building those sections up dynamically.

Which leads me to the lead guitar again. If the track had a fuller bottom and a bit more keyboards, then I think the tone would be nearly ideal. As it sits now, it's good, but I think it could use a bit more in terms of low mids. It's not shrill, but as relatively sparse as the mix is, it doesn't need to cut, and it could, IMHO, use just a touch more "body". YMMV. :idk: But the playing and phrasing are very nice, and again, my tonal comments are subjective and minor.

The keys were nicely done IMO. The tones were tasteful and complementary to the guitar, and never felt overly lost (although I felt there were some spots where they could come up a dB or two) or too obtrusive - except @ 2:27, they nearly took my head off. :eek: Not really, but IMO, it was a little loud. Even if you're intentionally introducing something new or loud in order to :poke: , jar or toss an aural "pay attention!" at the listener (NTTAWWT :) ), I don't think it needs to be quite that forward in the mix to accomplish that.

But all of the nitpicky stuff aside, I really did enjoy listening to that. I think you've got a cool little track there. Nice job. :cool:

Archived