Snow Leopard - any opinions?

Now that Digidesign has released Pro Tools 8.03 (which supports Snow Leopard), I'm considering upgrading my MacBook from Leopard. Is anyone using Snow Leopard? It's not that expensive if I recall correctly - under $30, or about that.

Should I go for it? How has Snow Leopard been working out for you?

• Members

It's mostly futureproofing - allowing the computer's processor to run more demanding applications that will be written in the next couple of years.

For recording, there is a noticeable positive improvement in how Logic splits processing between cores. Before upgrading, it was more likely to max out one core and ignore the other on projects with a lot of software instruments and Amp Designers.

Day-to-day use, the biggest change I've noticed is that it doesn't take ten seconds for Airport to come back after sleep.

• Members

Thank you for your reply.
:cool:

Was the installation relatively painless?

I also hear it's pretty slimmed down in terms of disk space due to the PPC code being removed, which isn't a huge deal to me, but then again, anything that cuts down on bload is fine with me.
:)

Hey Phil.. The worst thing about Snow Leopard is that some of my existing applications don't work properly or at all (Nikon Capture/View and stuff like that).

The difference in performance is not really noticeable to me although there is a certain slickness about it that stands out on occasion.. Other than that, I see it as a progression that may be realised largely in the months/years to come. 64 bit apps etc...

My RME Fireface drivers were there from the beginning (I know a lot of companies are slow to catch up..) so kudos to them

Merry Christmas..

Rimmer

Thanks guys - I ordered it yesterday, and it should arrive sometime between tomorrow and New Year's eve. Since I really only use my MacBook for the web and for occasional Pro Tools editing on the go, I doubt software compatability is going to be a big issue now that Digidesign has released an "officially" supported version of Pro Tools for Snow Leopard. We'll see.

I'm going to back up my system drive right before doing the install with SuperDuper, and then try doing the install "over" my existing Leopard install. If I have "issues", I'm then going to try wiping the system drive and doing a full / fresh / clean install of Snow Leopard. If I am still having issues after that, I will be able to revert back to my saved backup.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the input everyone. :cool:

• Members

Oh that's another thing...

I did something goofy in snow leopard (don't ask :lol:) and wanted to go back a few hours (I have time machine). So I loaded up the system disc and did the whole time machine utility and re installed yada yada.

Well... when I did that, A LOT of programs didn't launch. It was a nightmare, itunes, pages, iphoto, adium, line6 monkey, etc...

So what I ended up having to do was go back to leopard (a couple weeks old backup:lol:), but everything worked when I did. I REALLY REALLY hope that whatever happened with what I did is not a real issue with the OS, because nothing helped and I really didn't want to sit on the phone with tech support.

The ability to go back with time machine is a major thing for me.

Archived