Looking for a recording setupon a budget.

• Members

Well I have a very small recording setup so far. Using Line 6 toneport into garageband. I was able to record my first song with my band no problem but that was only guitar and vocals. Now that we want to do a demo I need an interface with more inputs/tracks. While im at it I also want to upgrade my software and get a mixer that works with my software. Please point me in the right direction. My budget is around 1,000 but I don't mind upgradeing in steps. I already have headphones and mics. This is what I recorded using the toneport with garage band http://www.purevolume.com/AmongTheApathetic The song I recorded was double vision the other one someone else did. Thank you.

What model Mac are you running?

How many members are in your band? Do you all want to record simultaneously, or will you be cool with recording one or two players at a time and then overdubbing the other parts?

The main reason I ask is because the size of your group and the way you want to work will have a bearing on your audio interface and the number of mic input channels it will need to have, and that will have an effect on the suggestions we'll make. So the more you can tell us about your band and your lineup, sound and gear, the better our responses are likely to be for you, and the more appropriate to your situation. :)

• Members

The computer is a 2009 iMac. Our band consists of four members. Vocal, bass, drums, and two guitarists. I actually want to record one or two players at a time instead of everyone at once. Our genre is rock. We already have mics for all our instruments and nice headphones. I hope this helps some anything else you need to know?

• Members

The computer is a 2009 iMac. Our band consists of four members. Vocal, bass, drums, and two guitarists. I actually want to record one or two players at a time instead of everyone at once. Our genre is rock. We already have mics for all our instruments and nice headphones. I hope this helps some anything else you need to know?

So you need two inputs, right? Or do you want to record one or both of the people in stereo? In that case you'll need four inputs.

I have an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. It has 2 inputs and was $200. I like it, I can recommend it.

• Members

Also, as for software, almost any interface should work with almost any DAW. You can download Reaper for free and it's fairly powerful, just choose some good plugins (VST, AU, ETC), which should also work with almost any DAW. If you're not doing midi stuff and plan on just recording straight in, you don't really need anything all that powerful/expensive.

• Members

I'd start with getting Logic Express ($200) and an Apogee Duet ($500). That'll blow your mind on the improvement you'll get with just those two items. The Duet gives you 2 inputs. Maybe get yourself a pair of monitors too.

What mics do you have?

• Members

Well I want to record drums so wouldn't I need more then two inputs? I guess I could use a mixer before the interface but I would then need to buy a mixer. I probably need around 6 inputs if I am recording drums don't I? And for the mics that I have I have 2 sm58's a condenser mic (can't remember off the top of my head what it is) audix i-5 and a shure bass drum mic can't remember the model off the top of my head. I was actually thinking about getting this http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FireStudio-Project?sku=241723 I heard it was a good product?

• Members

Depending on how much control you want and how picky you are about individual drum sounds, this may not be a viable option, but you could certainly get an inexpensive mixer and run it into your interface. You wouldn't be able to give each drum its own track in your DAW, but you could set levels and do basic EQing on the mixer. I've done this with just a cheap Behringer mixer, and it did a reasonably good job.

• Members

A rough mix of a little basic blues/rock recorded live on location at a small club in Sebastian, Florida last Saturday. I used a total of 9 channels, 7 mic inputs on the Firestudio and 2 mic inputs on my ART Digital MPA dumping out to the Firestudio by SPDIF. Recorded and mixed in Reaper. A good time was had by all. This was my first location recording project since about 1978 or so when I used to haul around a Tascam 80-8 with DBX mounted in an Anvil case in the back of a 1972 Datsun 510 station wagon (with orange shag carpet) ;). I have two Firestudios and am looking to sell one and replace it with a Digimax FS (simpler to interface together and less demanding on the computer). http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=818206&songID=8712324

Archived