Why?

Mercer

• Members

i dont udnerstand why people dont like gc...

i mean {censored}, where else can you go and play all the prs, gibsons, fenders, ibanez, martins, taylors, etc. for free, and without hassle?

not to mention that most of the time they have a lot of vintage gibson stock.

if you cant find a guitar you like at gc, then it sucks for you.

• Members
Originally posted by Mercer

If we all know that GC is the devil, and love to post anti GC threads, then WHY THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE SHOP THERE?

Because they are the man and everybody has to claim that the man is keeping a brotha down.

Other than that, it's a nice well stocked practice and test drive venue for those of us who don't keep millions of dollars of inventory in our homes. And for that they get all my string and accessory business.:D :D

• Members

I have no use for GC, to be honest. I have 2 AWESOME locally owned shops that carry almost anything GC does. One is priced about the same, the other is about 10-20 percent lower on almost everything.

I ended up getting a limited edition axe that GC had never even heard of from one of my local shops. I show it off here all the time.

If I want used stuff, there are also 2 major used stores that carry everything from Squiers to PRS.

Oh yeah, all four also have good techs on hand that set up their stuff when it comes in, and before it goes out the door and/or once for free after purchase.

My few experiences with GC have not been very good. The salesmen knew very little about the product, wanted to BS me with "inside knowledge" of different products' quality levels which he clearly did not have, and tried to sell me an aftermarket case for a guitar I was considering purchasing that clearly put undue pressure on the angled-back headstock. This was after he quoted me LIST on TWO Schecters I was thinking of buying, when I had already made it clear I had done my homework, knew what the street price was and wasnt willing to pay more, I wanted to work DOWN from there. Sure, he was trying to make a buck, but he patronized me and insulted my intelligence.

I wont be back unless it is for something simple like picks or cables, and it is the closest place to get them in a bind. So count me as one that has expressed dislike for GC, though not often here on HC, and does NOT shop there.

• Members

^ You are like me, except for one thing. I like going to GC to try guitars. You others I'm fine with as well. I just meant that it seams like a lot of threads start like this: "I went to GC, which I NEVER do, and they didn't have what I wanted, and this guy said that strats have 24 frets, and I schooled him." I just don't get why those who HATE GC buy from it. I have baught two things from GC, a footswitch for my amp, and my amp. I don't like them, and I try to buy from smaller shops with more soul, but if GC has something that somebody else does I won't forego that item.

• Members

as of saturday i refuse to ever again.

i was in tampa w/ my in laws saturday and my baby.

went to GC, they stopped me at the door and said i had to leave the carriage there. they claimed they couldnt get it through the turnstile (so how DO handicapped folks buy guitars? a miracle healing at the door?)

so when i told the burger king reject behind the counter that he needed to be fed at 3 and changed immediately thereafter, but that sometime he would projectile vomit the formula, the clerk got all flustered.

so i loudly announced that i would go to sam ash where they WELCOME families w/ $ to spend!

i have NEVER heard such a stupid thing. my son and i go cruise different guitar shops almost every saturday and this vo tech reject says we cant come in!

• Members

Ok. Good reason. What's with the porr reputation for customer service? I always get the same sales guy and he's nice enough, and not incompetant..

There are very close to 200 guitar centers.

They arent all going to be the same.

Plus the turn over rate on sales reps is really high, which means we get a lot of morons who dont know what they are doing, but want to give it the old college try and usually just end up {censored}ing things up and pissing off customers in the long run.

• Members

If we all know that GC is the devil, and love to post anti GC threads, then WHY THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE SHOP THERE?

The GC nearest to where I live is 100 miles away, so I don't go to Guitar Center, but not by choice. :( I've never been to one, though I think I've passed by them once or twice.

• Members

It is the only place that is close to me that actually has the gear I want to see/test at a price I might be willing to pay. The small local joints have absolutely nothing around here and they want an arm and a leg for it.

I buy everything used now so I go their to test drive things and see if I like them and then I go find it used for a super cheap price.

As an example of my local shops......I go in because I wanted to buy a new speaker for my old combo. I wanted a vintage 30. Of course they do not have one. The guy looks at me and say he could order me one and it would be there in a week maybe a week and a half. I ask him the price......130$. I can order myself one for 80 bucks and it will be here in 3-5 days. Even GC isn't evil enough to charge me 50 bucks extra and make me wait.

• Members

I haven't had any problems with GC. I lived in MI and had several that I visited and always had decent service. There were times when I had poor service. I now live in Ohio and the GC here is ok. No problems so far. The only thing I find is sometimes the help isn't that knowledgeable about the products. As musicians and consumers, with the internet we tend to educate ourselves pretty good about what we want. And it can be insulting when you already know the answer but look for agreement and the sales rep tell you some B.S.

Fortunately I found a great local store that has a great selection of most guitars and personal service. So I use them against each other. But for set ups and personal things I go local.

Archived