I thought a Strat was what I wanted, but the more I hear a Tele...

BandFan

• Members

Been a Les Paul player for over 18 years and figured its time to get something something different. I figured a Strat was the most logical compliment to my LP, so I've been researching them, trying a few out. But the more I hear the music/tone I drool over the most, I notice that that music is played on some sort of Telecaster (Yardbirds, Early Led Zeppelin, 50's/60's style blues).

Tele's always seemed like a country music style guitar to me, or a guitar traditionally used by players that I wasn't really into (e.g., Springsteen, Richards, etc.) so I've always overlooked them.

Now I'm really struggling with which one to go with. I want this new guitar for raunchy blues/heavy blues/rock, and some hard rock. I know the Tele can get me there, but I'm not sure the Strat can get the sick searing bright lead tones I'm hearing on these albums.

Sigh...which guitar to go with??? And so many models/styles with X number of pickups, where to start? I'm willing to spend anywhere from $1200 to 1700...

• Members

I too have been a Les Paul player for many years. I switched to a Strat in the 80's because I thought it was more cool and versatile. A few years ago I bought an American ash Tele on a whim. Oh my God what a guitar. I now know what I was missing all those years I dismissed the tele as a "country" guitar. It is now my favorite. I still love my Les Paul but I find myself playing the Tele a lot more. I did have to install Fender noiseless pickups because I couldn't tolerate the 60 Cycle hum. I think a American Deluxe Telecaster is one of the best choices for any old Les Paul player. Trust me, get a Tele. I have a friend who calls the Tele "Fender's Les Paul". I think that sums it up nicely. :)

• Members

Go to all the guitar stores around, and play every cheap tele you can find. Buy the one that feels the best, and rings the best 'acoustically'. Then put a rio grande 'muy grande' in the bridge, and a rio grande 'tallboy' in the neck, and hook it all up with a 4-way switch, and you will have a Badass Bluzerawk Teleblaster.

• Members

I have had quite a few guitars.. and ended up selling them all for quite a few Telecasters. I own 3 right now ('72 Custom, MIA Std, MIM Std), and I am about to get another one (MIM Nashville) and honestly, I think they are perfect guitars.. my '72 Custom is probably one of the most versatile guitars I have ever played. I don't hear alot of twang out of my guitar, I play through Vox amps, I don't see anything country about that... Perfect guitars, especially for layering tremolo, fuzz, and reverb over them.

• Members

When I went shopping for my first "real" guitar I was sure that I wanted an Ibanez or other super strat type. But I played a tele and kept coming back to it after I played everything I thought I wanted. Necks are great, simple configuration, and I can get any sound I want out of it. Well almost. I got a used Crate superstrat to go along with it, but the tele is always my first choice!

L8R

Raths

• Members

yeah tele's are the bomb. i'm mainly a les paul player but i have a mex tele that i play all the time. i'm a big fan of the stones and early zeppelin sounds, which are great, but to show the versatility of the tele, look at the sounds radiohead and coldplay can get out of them. great guitars. only fender i'll play:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Daddyof2

I too have been a Les Paul player for many years. I switched to a Strat in the 80's because I thought it was more cool and versatile. A few years ago I bought an American ash Tele on a whim. Oh my God what a guitar. I now know what I was missing all those years I dismissed the tele as a "country" guitar. It is now my favorite. I still love my Les Paul but I find myself playing the Tele a lot more. I did have to install Fender noiseless pickups because I couldn't tolerate the 60 Cycle hum. I think a American Deluxe Telecaster is one of the best choices for any old Les Paul player. Trust me, get a Tele. I have a friend who calls the Tele "Fender's Les Paul". I think that sums it up nicely.
:)

Same story for me..actually same guitar (Honey Blonde) and pickups too.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I come from classic guitar that I have played for about 15 years. My first electric was a les paul and I was saving up to get a Gibby Les Paul Standard. Till one day I saw the Baja Telecaster in the shop, wanted to check it out and ever since I am just in love with telecasters. Not only they have an amazing sound which is right in the middle between a strat and LP but they are so much comfortable to play and hold, focused with no paraphernalia...

I tried a deluxe Ash american tele today and this is going to be my next guitar.

• Members
Originally posted by evh1984

cheap Tele... expensive Tele... Tele w/ humbuckers...Tele w/ singles... Tele made of ash... Tele made of alder.... Tele made of sugar pine...

maybe it's just me but they ALL sound the same... like a Tele
:)

I think it's just you. :D

Archived