I thought a Strat was what I wanted, but the more I hear a Tele...

BandFan

• Members

Originally posted by nick803

Bingo...and maybe even have $ left over!

Yeah, especially if you buy used. I got a used MIA Standard for $540 shipped. You can easily find used MIA Teles and Strats in the $600 range.

But if it's one or the other and you're looking for the opposite of an LP, a Strat would be the way to go. To me Teles and LP's have a fairly similar sound. Teles are a bit thinner sounding and can be twangy if you want, but they are no where near as different as Strats from LP's.

• Members

Originally posted by Kace

How about one of them Nashville Tele's?

I've heard good thing about those. Get you your tele tones plus you have the strat mid there if you want something a bit different.

The only problem (from what I hear) is that you can't get the normal 2nd Tele position, which is my favorite. You could probably do it with some extra mods though.

• Members

It startes out thinking you want "an electric guitar", so you get one without knowing much. In time, you realize that there are MANY electric guitars, each with its own special features.
The dichotomy is not "Strat vs Tele" or "LP vs Strat" or "Ibanez vs Yamaha", etc.

The dichotomy is one guitar vs GAS.

If you have to ask "Strat or Tele", then the choice is obviously unclear, and there are things you like about BOTH. That means you need at LEAST one of each!!! :idea:

For $1700, you can get two very nice examples, one a Strat and one a Tele.

Then, you'll be in better position to worry about Thinlines, '52 reissues, Teles with humbucker(s), Nashvilles, modern Teles, Deluxe ones, and many combinations and permutations of pickups for each, not to mention non-Fender Tele-styled guitars by G&L, Suhr, Asnderson, Melancon, and their ilk.

Archived