Using Phasing To Create Space - Recommend Some Plugins

• Members

Engineers used to worry about pseudo-stereo effects in mixing because they weren't mono-compatible.

Then everyone in the nineties was listening in stereo and it became a non-issue.

But then every home stereo system, boombox, and walkman began to feature built in pseudo-stereo processing and "sound enhancers" that were processing the already mastered audio.

Fast forward to 2010 and you have a fair segment of the population listening to audio on laptops (mono), which has been processed by pseudo-stereo effects built into players like iTunes and WMP.

So basically, I don't know. :idk:

My latest kick has been L/R/C mixing where every mono signal is hard panned to one side or the other.

• Members

FM radio will still switch to mono when the signals deflected or weak. You should always check how your effects sound mono for that reason. if you do use any kind of phasing, just make sure the parts dont completely dissapear in a mono mix. You'll usually find they sound more solid with less phasing in any case.

• Members

All the plugin does is throw one side of a mono chanel out of phase with the other in varying degrees and depths to simulate stereo. I have a few that might do a better job. The one thats in the Sonar/Sonitus effect pack is very good.

I have another that is pretty cool too I just cant remember its name at the moment and will have to check when I get home. Its called Superstereo or something like that, but its a tricky item to find on the net even though its a free one.

Besides stereo widening, you also have Bass mono-ing, vocal boost/elimination, DC elimination, stereo centering, widening or narrowing for both input and outputs, a phase scope and volume corrections. I've used it a bit and find its more usefull in restoration type work myself. you can take an old recording and jack with all the settings to get a better stereo mix if its lacking and you can also phase out specific anoying frequencies.

• Members

FM radio will still switch to mono when the signals deflected or weak. You should always check how your effects sound mono for that reason. if you do use any kind of phasing, just make sure the parts dont completely dissapear in a mono mix. You'll usually find they sound more solid with less phasing in any case.

Jukeboxes and club sound systems tend to be wired for mono as well.

Archived