wanting an interface...which one?

• Members

I'm looking to buy my first interface. I'm looking to go the firewire route. I'll be using it with a MacBook Pro. What I need to be able to record are guitars (using mics on my cab, not plug-ins...never tried plug-ins before, just messed around a bit with GarageBand) and I want to be able to record things I programmed into my Roland MC-505 Groove Box (2 interface inputs needed for stereo?).

I've narrowed it down to the Presonus FireStudio Mobile or the Focusrite Saffire PRO 24. Both are the same price, and from what I can tell, both are about the same as in performance, which makes me believe the difference between them comes to the bundled software.

The Presonus comes with StudioOne Artist while the Focusrite says it comes with Ableton Live Lite 7 (which I find weird because Ableton 8 is the current one).

Has anyone worked with StudioOne Artist or Ableton Live Lite 7? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• Members

I'd go with the Focusrite. I use Presonus Digimax PREs but, I'd never go with a PreSonus again as my 'brain'. Had bad luck with the Firestudio. I know things have gotten better and others have had nothing but good times with them, just wasn't my cup of tea. Too many unexpected errors would just come up for no reason at random times.

BTW, you've got the Mac why not go for a ProTools M-Powered system? Still in your 300 range and you know thats a trusted rock solid interface/DAW.

StudioOne is a little to new for me and Ableton always reminded me of one of the 'little brothers' to the other major DAWs out there.

• Members

Thanks for the info.

I looked into ProTools, but it seems more expensive. The Mbox 2 Mini is the same price as the Focusrite and Presonus, but has less inputs. Are there other ProTools options?

• Members

There are 3 different options of ProTools. HD which is your Pro version, standard and the M-Powered version that works with M-Audio. Its kinds the good-better-best scenario with the three but, for the recording options that us at home guys do the M-Powered works fine.

Not trying to give you more options and give you more questions when you've already decided on two different systems.

So I'll just say get the Focusrite and stick with Garageband or whatever LE DAW comes with the unit. Pretty much all DAWs are created equal when you get used to a certain layout. I love Sonar but thats just because I've been using it since Sonar2.

• Members

I bought a Pro 24 around this time last year, but just got around to using it a couple months ago. I compared it to a number of other FireWire interfaces in the same price range, and the only "con" I could come up with was that Ableton Live Lite gets very little mention on any of the forums I visit. I planned on using Reaper as my DAW anyway, so it became a non-issue. So far, so good.

Is the Mac version of Cockos Reaper out of "beta" yet? If so, that's an inexpensive program (unexpiring, non-crippled shareware, with a $60 non-commercial license if you like it) that a lot of people here seem to really like. Also, the new Mac has Garageband... which is sort of like Logic Extra Light. ;) Both of those programs will work with whatever interface you decide to go with.

I have not seen StudioOne in action or tried it myself yet. As far as Ableton Live Lite, it's not something I would want to base the majority of my recording tasks around. YMMV.

As to the Pro Tools question, your options, in the ~$300 budget range, are limited. Many M-Audio interfaces will run Pro Tools M-Powered, but since the software itself will cost you at least $205 (the lowest I was able to find with a quick Google search - $149 if you qualify for the educational discount), that doesn't leave much left to buy the actual interface. With the MBox 2 Mini, which is right around your budget point, the software comes "bundled" with the interface at no additional cost. I have a MBox 2 Mini that I use with my laptop for a "mobile" rig. I like it, and it does what I need (and I generally prefer Pro Tools over other DAW software - YMMV), but as you mentioned, it is somewhat limited on the inputs and outputs. It only has one mic preamp onboard. It DOES have stereo line inputs though, so it should work with your beatbox. The limitation being, you can't use a mic preamp AND the two line inputs simultaneously. It's strictly a "2X2" interface. Additionally, you would not be able to do stereo acoustic guitar recordings or use any other "two microphone" techniques (close mic + distant mic) on your electric guitar / amp recordings without using an additional outboard preamp...

Archived