Squier Silver Series?

• Members

Worth it, I think. Nice MIJ range. I experienced a few of them back in the day - a friend's J Bass was particularly nice. I believe that many of them were at least as good as anything bearing the Fender name coming out of Mexico these days (and I do like MIM Fender). If I found one that was good all-original, I think they're good enough to stay that way, though equally I think one of those could also be a great base to upgrade as well. Nothing reversible, though - I do think it's possible these could at some future date become quite collectible.

I'm not sure I'd want to pay more than the going rate for a recent used Squier, but if you can get it cheap, and youl ike it, I'd say go for it.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Edward

Worth it, I think. Nice MIJ range. I experienced a few of them back in the day - a friend's J Bass was particularly nice. I believe that many of them were at least as good as anything bearing the Fender name coming out of Mexico these days (and I do like MIM Fender). If I found one that was good all-original, I think they're good enough to stay that way, though equally I think one of those could also be a great base to upgrade as well. Nothing reversible, though - I do think it's possible these could at some future date become quite collectible.

I'm not sure I'd want to pay more than the going rate for a recent used Squier, but if you can get it cheap, and youl ike it, I'd say go for it.

Were some of the MIJ Squiers plywood?

• Members

I haven't owned a Silver Series (I thought they were MIK?), but if they're MIJ, I doubt they have plywood bodies. Might be basswood, dunno. I've read good things about them various places on the net. If you get it, give a report please....

• Members

I may be wrong, but AFAIK, they were solid wood. At the time they came out, IIRC, Yammy had just released the early Pacifica 112s and were maknig a big spalsh about how they weren't - unlike many budget models at the time - ply (remember the "ask if they do it in natural finish" ads?), so I think in part the SS were a response to that. Basswood is a distinct possibility as so many of the guitars built as basic level Fender types in Japan were basswood. I don't think Agathis appeared until much later on.

Archived