Brass neck pocket shim = more sustain?

• Members

Originally posted by Randy G

If it replaces an existing air gap, then yes any shim is better. Any solid material is a better vibration transferrer than air. But if you already have a solid contact between your two pieces of wood, adding the brass shim is just introducing more potential air gaps.

they're supposed to be angled to fill up any gaps. the only way it would increase sustain is by increasing the string angle over the bridge,and on a standard strat that's not really an issue; it's mostly done on Jaguars/Jazzmasters

• Moderators

Originally posted by onbongos

they're supposed to be angled to fill up any gaps. the only way it would increase sustain is by increasing the string angle over the bridge,and on a standard strat that's not really an issue; it's mostly done on Jaguars/Jazzmasters

No, shims in general are actually to provide correct neck heights and angles. But brass shims are for something different.

• Moderators

Originally posted by jjpistols

hm

dunno if it works, but I'd like to hear the thinking behind it

OK......just for you ya sideboarded sweaty cuntstretcher:mad:

It's all based on Aspen Pittman's patented FATHEAD.

This is the reply from Fretmonster:

"Dear Sean,

I'm no authority on the physics of sound or energy transferrence, so I can only speak from experience. Basically the way I understand it, brass enhances the transferrence of sound vibration throughout the entire neck so that there is little or no diminution of volume as you go up the neck, and increases sustain and clarity. I see where a very respected company has recently jumped into the game and is selling the (brass) "Fatfingers" ($40) for the headstock. I guess all I can tell you is that no it is not snake oil. I started using them, was very pleased with the results and then had some made up for sale (sold for $20 on Ebay), and have had nothing but positive feedback. "

So I checke on the Fatfingers thang which is here:

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/gtrstuff/gtfat.php

and they say:

The Science...

...the physics of fatfinger are simple; by effectively adding 2 to 3 times more mass to the "weak" end of any stringed instrument, the strings ring out longer, louder, and with more balance. The increased sustain is immediately apparent, but the improved balance is the ultimate reward.

The fatfinger's mass lowers the frequency of the harmonic imperfections, or nodes, of any stringed instrument.

These "dead spots" are moved below our audible range, and so are effectively eliminated! They work as well on electric guitars or basses as they do on acoustic instruments. It's an incredible "fix" for that Fender Jazz Bass with the "disappearing C note" syndrome, and it adds new punch to your finger pickin'."

Thats about it:thu:

• Members

Well in that instance, I don't see how it being brass, lead, or dog poo would make a difference in the tone. It's just adding mass to the headstock.

As far as a neck pocket shim (like the shape of a neck plate I'm assuming), there the material would come into play. I don't know if brass would help or hurt. I think if anything it would have a similar (though not as drastic) effect as a brass nut-brightening the tone.

Brass nuts increase sustain because of being a harder material than plastic or graphite, and the string is freer to vibrate on it, not suffering any dampening because of the soft nut material.

As was mentioned, any additional layer of material in the neck pocket has the potential to be a problem for sustain.

Now, an extremely thin shim, something malleable, like a film almost, might help because it could adapt to the subtle shape variations of the heel and neck (hopefully there aren't any), and increase the effective contact area.

Hmmm . . .

/looks at roll of aluminum foil

Archived