Where to start on acoustic treatment?

Yeah, good job on dealing with the lows Matt, but I imagine Terry's probably right about it probably not being an ideal room to mix in due to it being overly absorbent - especially in the mids-highs. Some mid-high frequency diffusion placed in front of / "over" some of the installed absorbers would probably go a long way towards bringing the top end back. Strategically placed and spaced wood slats or lattice would be my "budget approach" suggestion...

• 2 weeks later...

Mineral wool is similar in look and acoustic properties to fiberglass. Actually, I really couldn't give you specifics regarding what differentiates the two; fiberglass is, I believe, made of glass fibers (silica based). Mineral wool's wiki page may give you additional info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_wool

For whatever reason, mineral wool tends to cost a bit less than fiberglass of similar density, thickness and with similar acoustical ratings.

• Members

Yeah, good job on dealing with the lows Matt, but I imagine Terry's probably right about it probably not being an ideal room to mix in due to it being overly absorbent - especially in the mids-highs. Some mid-high frequency diffusion placed in front of / "over" some of the installed absorbers would probably go a long way towards bringing the top end back. Strategically placed and spaced wood slats or lattice would be my "budget approach" suggestion...

Thanks. I forget how the high end measured; I will pull up the measurements when I get a chance. I remember there was still some comb filtering in the mids & highs even after treatment. It doesn't sound too bad though, and I have tended to mix too dry & too dark in the past, so it works out well for me.

With this small a room, I think it's very difficult to make it sound really good without compromises, especially in an apartment where you can't make permanent alterations. There's something to be said for diffusion, but in my experience it becomes less effective the smaller the room - I think it would require experimentation and a careful compromise between comb filtering and acoustic deadness.

Archived