String change.

anti-9

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

Does your guitar have a cheesebar on it? How often in your playing career have strings broken at the ball end? If rarely, is it worth trouble and toxic fumes you'll be breathing in to possibly help prevent the rare occasion that the string breaks at the end?

no its not a cheees bar,this is a delta king.Ive barly had it so I couldnt say haow many on this one.Soldering realy no problem as far as fiumes go my lungs are so {censored}ed up it won't matter.

• Members
Originally posted by hondro

does anyone else notice Atomheartmother is playing through a microcube?

and then has a MIA tele and Bill Lawrence cables

starts out good, continues good, then wtf where did THAT come from
:D

What's wrong with Microcubes? I've owned plenty of tube amps in my day (recent, vintage, self-built); they just aren't practical in my small apartment situation. The 'Cube does what I need in spades, so I'm set.

• Members

Originally posted by anti-9

no its not a cheees bar,this is a delta king.Ive barly had it so I couldnt say haow many on this one.Soldering realy no problem as far as fiumes go my lungs are so {censored}ed up it won't matter.

Then it may be a problem with the guitar, not the strings. By soldering the ball ends, you're just putting a (very time consuming) bandaid on the problem. Check for burrs in the stop tail.

Also, were these the stock strings? If so, forget about it. They're probably the crappiest strings made and have been on there for months while the guitar sat around in stale box in a rancid warehouse...not to mention having been shipped from China to your house.

• Members

What's wrong with Microcubes? I've owned plenty of tube amps in my day (recent, vintage, self-built); they just aren't practical in my small apartment situation. The 'Cube does what I need in spades, so I'm set.

when did you build a tube amp?

• Members

I don't play guitars with cheesebars. I play real guitars, so I don't have that issue.

Personlly, I'd rather not waste all the time soldering the ball ends and breathing in toxic solder fumes once every 2 weeks to cover for the rare defective ball end.

Both of the cases I'm talking about were on stoptail guitars. Stop inferring what isn't there.

How did you avoid the toxic solder fumes when you built your tube amp? Personally, I learned how to solder before I built a tube amp. This includes minor issues like dealing with the fumes.

• Members

Originally posted by mattburnside

Both of the cases I'm talking about were on stoptail guitars. Stop inferring what isn't there.

How did you avoid the toxic solder fumes when you built your tube amp? Personally, I learned how to solder before I built a tube amp. This includes minor issues like dealing with the fumes.

I opened the window and put a fan in it facing outside. It seemed to suck the fumes out for the most part. It's fine as long as it's a bigger project.

But it seems like a waste of time and energy to setup all of the soldering and ventilation stuff and spend all that time soldering every two to four weeks to prevent something that happens very rarely, if ever again. You're changing a five minute string change job to a 20+ minute job.

And if it happens often, it's not a string problem, but a bigger hardware problem that needs to be addressed.

• Members

This is a very strange thread. I've been playing 37 years and never heard of soldering strings. In the last 15 years, I've broken maybe 4 strings. Soldering sounds like a waste of time and effort for most people to me.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

This is a very strange thread. I've been playing 37 years and never heard of soldering strings. In the last 15 years, I've broken maybe 4 strings. Soldering sounds like a waste of time and effort for most people to me.

I have heard of it but don't see the point.

Just buy some spares of whatever strings you break the most. The time you save will be worth the money spent.

• Members

If you don't know what guage they are, I can't think of any way to help you to ascertain the guage without finding the package for them.

Just replace them all with some 10's of whatever brand (if they have colored ends...D'Addario...if they have brass colored ends...probably Ernie Ball).

I have no idea what you're talking about as far as solderin the ends. That just sounds silly, and I don't see what you aim o accomplish.

Well, its pretty easy to mic them if you have a micrometer.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if anyone else felt the same way...

Although I have only been playing for 23 years, I also have never heard of it .. not to say I'm discounting it completely .. but I wear out my strings WAAAYYY before I break them... and I've NEVER had one come unwound at the ball.

• Members

AHM,
I don't know what's happened with you of late, but you need to think back on all the absolutely ridiculous noobie questions you used to ask way back then--about six months ago.
For some reason--and not just in this thread--you've begun answering questions in the most pedantic way, like you've suddenly become all-knowing and, therefore, consider those who ask questions as being inferior for having to do so.
We all begin by asking questions, some/many of which might seem ridiculous to others. And if we wish to continue to learn, we need to continue to ask questions. We need to continue making ourselves vulnerable to derision in order to discover something we don't know.
The Golden Rule applies here.

• Members

My answer to the person who posted the original question is also advice I would give to all guitarists who have ever wondered what gauge strings are on a guitar that they've, for example, purchased used:

Buy one of these

I bought one a few years ago (from a different seller), and I've used it more than I ever thought I would.

Archived