Old tapes..!

• Members

One of my band mates found a box of 7" reel to reel tapes in his basement. In the early 70's, we used to tape our rock band and do sound on sound recordings on his Sony reel to reel tape deck, using a pair of Sony electret condenser mics that came with it. I had a Teac 3300, which I still have along with at 3440 acquired in the 80's.

Going through the tapes, I came across 2 reels labeled 'Excalibur - Axis 7-26-75', Excalibur was an experimental jazz band comprised of 4 guys from our circle of musician friends, (head and shoulders above any of us in talent). Curious, I popped the tape on my old Teac to copy over to my hard drive. And I was just blown away by the quality of the sound, from a 35 year old tape, recorded on pretty low ball home stereo equipment, with just a pair of mics. The cymbals are a bit brittle here and there, and the balance/panning isn't great, but, considering the equipment used to make the recording, I'd be hard pressed to improve on it all that much with what I have now (still pretty low ball). My band mate remembers recording it on that Sony tape deck, using those Sony electret condenser mics, just set on their little plastic stands, no close micing, no board. Performance was at the Axis coffee house in or around Landsdowne PA, I have no idea what the room was like, but probably pretty small.

Now, I'm sure plenty of folks here could produce far, far better results than I could, then or now. But I'm not sure just how much better I could, with just a pair of mics.

A very pleasant surprise and blast from the past. The musicians who made up Excalibur, are just thrilled to hear this stuff after all these years.

BTW, Excalibur is defunct and only 2 of the 4 are still musicians; so I am not promoting anything, just sharing a happy and surprising find .....:) One of the guys put one of the tracks up on his facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150095492916057

Archived