1981 American made Squier Bullet guitar

Lloyd Rummell

• Members

I was at one of the local guitar shops and saw a 1981 MIA Squier Bullet guitar it had a tele style neck and body with more of a strat style pickguard, the shop wanted 400.00 for it, it comes with a hardshell case.

Anyone here have any experience with these guitars?

Is 400.00 too much for it?

The guitar is in excellent condition with little play wear.

I tried to post a pic of it but I guess My file is too big and can't be posted.

• Members

Originally posted by Lloyd Rummell

I was at one of the local guitar shops and saw a 1981 MIA Squier Bullet guitar it had a tele style neck and body with more of a strat style pickguard, the shop wanted 400.00 for it, it comes with a hardshell case.

Anyone here have any experience with these guitars?

Is 400.00 too much for it?

The guitar is in excellent condition with little play wear.

I tried to post a pic of it but I guess My file is too big and can't be posted.

go to photobucket and create an account,

upload the photo

copy and paste the image tag with the IMG on it

I would say its too much. You could probably talk them down some if you really wanted it. I dont know tho, I'd have to see it.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Pwn3d

go to photobucket and create an account,

upload the photo

copy and paste the image tag with the IMG on it

I would say its too much. You could probably talk them down some if you really wanted it. I dont know tho, I'd have to see it.

:)

I went there already and created an account and uploaded the pic already, I just didn't know what do do next.

• Members

I have read a few dif things here and there about the bullets with the tele "style" body. Some report that the tele style bodies are "ply" and some say theirs is solid. There is also the "rumor" that all the old bullets were made in Japan even if they say U.S.A. on the headstock. Most buy the guitar for the neck. $400 is on the high side IMO. With hard case $300 sounds more like it.

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

I have read a few dif things here and there about the bullets with the tele "style" body. Some report that the tele style bodies are "ply" and some say theirs is solid. There is also the "rumor" that all the old bullets were made in Japan even if they say U.S.A. on the headstock. Most buy the guitar for the neck. $400 is on the high side IMO. With hard case $300 sounds more like it.

Wasnt it from 81-85 that fender had problems with their production? I thought they only moved the "USA" production to Japan in only 85.

Beats me, Im no fender history buff.

• Members

From what I read, Fender was producing out of Japan until the mid-80's when they shifted to Korea. They did make some great guitars back then.

That's a very kewl Squier - sorta tele meets strat. Not many around that I've seen. If the neck's playable, and it may have one of those super-thin necks they were making back then, it would be a great project guitar. The body of my 80-something squier bullet fat-strat is a composite of a number of different chuncks of wood, but I'm of the school that pickups, bridges, nuts and strings have the majority of effect on tone. All guitars with a neck-through design are technically no different - and they are usually pretty expensive guitars.

$300 with a HSC sounds about right, but it depends on how badly you want it.

• Members

Originally posted by Pwn3d

Wasnt it from 81-85 that fender had problems with their production? I thought they only moved the "USA" production to Japan in only 85.

Beats me, Im no fender history buff.

Mmm..Off the top of my head I think it was only 85'. They moved the factory or something like that. Thats when they didnt make any U.S.A. guitars during that time.

They were making MIJ guitars since the early 80's. From what I have read here and there on dif' boards...the bullets were said to be all made in Japan. Same with those HM heavey Metal strats.

• Members

They were only so so guitars IMO. I've played a few and they didn't really do it for me. I had one for a short time in the early 90's and I traded it for a BC Rich Bass. But if you like it go for it. I think the price is a little steep, at least it's more then I would pay for one. Not sure what the market price is.

• Members

Hey i dont know if this is the same thing, but my local music store has one like that in. It has an AWSOME neck on it that has a maple fretboard. The body is the same with a burst finish and it has a middle pickup. They only want $150 for it with no case. I didnt like the pickups at all so i didnt get it, but i think i will go back to pick it up. $400 sounds steep but if you like it than its worth it for you

• Members

How come no one is mentioning that the bridge is part of the pickguard?!! That's some historical {censored} right there. Really tells a tale of a Fender Company in disarray with a weird countermusical cost driven decision like that. It's a neat guitar from that perspective (historical). I checked one out last week at a local store in LA.

• Members

Originally posted by 1esotericguy

How come no one is mentioning that the bridge is part of the pickguard?!! That's some historical {censored} right there. Really tells a tale of a Fender Company in disarray with a weird countermusical cost driven decision like that. It's a neat guitar from that perspective (historical). I checked one out last week at a local store in LA.

Yeah - the pickguard is metal, the bridge saddles are attached through the upturned rear lip. Cheesy Fender at it's finest.

$400 is robbery, IMO. Those guitars were laughed at when they first came out - there's a reason you don't see them around.

I think the pickups are the leftovers used for the Duo Sonic.

The necks might be nice, but the rest is crap IMO (and a few others too judiging by the scarity). Just because it's rare doesn't make it desireable.

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

The necks might be nice, but the rest is crap IMO (and a few others too judiging by the scarity). Just because it's rare doesn't make it desireable.

A quick look at Rondo and you can get a lot more guitar for the $ if u shop 'round.

Archived