Strat vs. Tele

Adrian Crow

• Members

tele = twang

strat = jangly

if you want to rock get a strat. if you want some sick bluesy tone get a tele.

personally i think teles are more versitle than a strat. strats are really harsh and brittle, teles can kinda do everything pretty well.

goto a shop and play them both, see what you like better, but i would go with a tele.

• Members
Originally posted by xbryanx

tele = twang

strat = jangly

Truth. The pickups aren't the same, and the tele bridge pickup has a bunch of metal around it. The two can be made to sound kind of similar or totally different from each other.

Teles are a lot better at doing country than strats, and IMO they're better at jazzy tones. Strats sound a little better for rock IMO because they're not as thin- sounding, but you can still get some fine rock sounds from a tele. I'd bet if you just went and took a headcount you'd find a lot more old- school punk players using teles than strats.

And then of course there's that whole hardtail/ trem thing.

I like 'em both. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by hutchtoo

I think it's pretty cool that teles have jazz cred. Any other jazz guitarists you know of play teles?

I don't really follow jazz guitar. I'd like to learn to play it, but I don't enjoy listening to it... I like my jazz with piano and horns.

But anyway, I googled for "jazz telecaster" and hit a pretty cool article:

http://www.jazztimes.com/columns_and_features/before_and_after/index.cfm?artist=2&track=14&action=after

The guy being interviewed mentions a couple of jazz tele players and has some entertaining things to say about teles.

And yeah, the telecaster is a pretty astonishing guitar. It does all kinds of stuff you'd never expect it to, but it's a bit of a puzzle as well... I got my first one just I guess 5, 6 months ago and it's been interesting. It's definitely NOT a strat that's missing a pickup, a cutaway and a trem.

And it does get a quite nice jazzy tone. :)

• Members

Big difference in sound.

Teles have a very 'direct' sound. Very punchy, very distinct. Essentially a fretted lap steel. Great for country, great for rock. In some ways, a tele sounds closer to an LP than a strat. Most tele neck pickups suck. Find a good one, and it's a thing of beauty. :thu:

Strats, to me, sound nothing like teles. They have a funky, hollow midrange, which depending on the band instrumentation and EQ, can cut through without stepping on toes of the other members, or "gets lost in the sauce."

• Moderators

tele = twang

strat = jangly

Huh? Jangly?wtf?

if you want to rock get a strat. if you want some sick bluesy tone get a tele.

Yeah Strats suck at blues:rolleyes:

strats are really harsh and brittle,

Huh?
harsh?....brittle?

:wave:

goto a shop and play them both, see what you like better, but i would go with a tele.

Definitely do the shop thing...but practically none of the above:thu:

• Members

Obviously what you need is one of each! Seriously though, as primarily a LP player I recently went through this same decision and ended up with a Tele. They are completely different beasts. I preferred the simplicity of the Tele - by mixing different pickups, playing with the tone knob and altering your technique you can dial in a huge range of sounds. I like that. Somehow I feel more in control of things with a tele vs. a strat. As usual, this is an extremely subjective thing and you should just play them both to see for yourself. The strat is obviously an incredibly popular and versatile guitar.

• Members

I agree with those who have opined that teles and strats are not the same. I have had four strats (or clones) and three teles, and I find that I can never use the same amp settings for a tele and a strat. They sound WAY different. To me, the tele is (for lack of a better way to put it) "Meatier", that is - thicker, whereas the strat is "airier".

PS: you can play jazz or blues on either. The whole idea that you need "X" guitar to play "X" style of music is a load of crap. Remember - nothing says "country" like a BC Rich warlock! :D

• Members
Originally posted by Ratae Coritanorum

Dude, you know {censored}....Ibanez K7 Korn with drop D for bluegrass:rolleyes:

OK, I concede that. However, you've got to admit that this is the preferred axe for speed metal:

hot11.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by Suspicious Mail

I'd bet if you just went and took a headcount you'd find a lot more old- school punk players using teles than strats.

:thu:

Here's an old school punk's views : what I love about a Tele is the way that virtually everything sounds really good - from cleans thru to a fair bit of gain. Here's a range of what I use my stock std mex Tele for (all bridge pickup and lots of mids on the amp):

60's garage/freakbeat rhythm : clean + a chunk of reverb

Classic Keef Richards sound : a touch of OD, maybe with a Bad Monkey or amp break-up

Paul Weller-type sound thru to 'Live at Leeds style crunch' - BD-2 or amp crunch with guitar vol and treble backed off slightly.

Punk/post-punk rhythm - higher OD with maybe an OS-2 and the treble whacked up.

For the last two for leads kick in the Bad Monkey as a booster and delay if required.

Anyway...three key points from all of this :

1) The Tele is a GREAT mimic, without losing it's own sound if that makes sense! Many of the above sounds are associated with other guitars, and you can get close enough to have fun!

2) They're really responsive to quite minor alterations to the guitar tone and volume - that opens up a range of options.

3) The bridge pick-up on a good Tele is bloody awesome. Don't listen to those who say it's just an icepick in the ear - you can do anything with it.

Strats - I don't own one, but I have played quite a few over the years. To me they're just a bit....mild. Stock, at least. Obv there's masses of pickup options to liven them up. I do really like the Neck p/u sound. Never understood this 'quack' thing - the in-between positions don't do a lot for me.

• Members
Originally posted by Suspicious Mail

Truth. The pickups aren't the same, and the tele bridge pickup has a bunch of metal around it. The two can be made to sound kind of similar or totally different from each other.

Teles are a lot better at doing country than strats, and IMO they're better at jazzy tones. Strats sound a little better for rock IMO because they're not as thin- sounding, but you can still get some fine rock sounds from a tele. I'd bet if you just went and took a headcount you'd find a lot more old- school punk players using teles than strats.

And then of course there's that whole hardtail/ trem thing.

I like 'em both.
:thu:

No way! Strats have a WAY thinner/glassy/brittle tone than Teles.

• Members

I personally don't think they are opposite ends of the spectrum, tonally, but they are different. I think the big difference is the ability to play the neck and bridge pickup of the Tele. And Teles feel a bit bigger to me. I have a Tele but I've been playing strat type guitars so long, the Tele feels about half way between a Strat and a 335 to me.

Archived