Funny/Ironic GAS Story - Is There No Cure?

GAS Man

• Members

Seriously, I have trouble with Gear Acquisition Syndrome. But I try to make wise purchases so I can unload later without too much loss when necessary.

And I have plenty of 0 interest rate lines of credit I'm making payments on. Some monthly, some deferred for a year.

AND!!

I reached my self-imposed number of maximum guitars (roughly my age).

So I'm swearing off from all buying unless I sell off some right?

And yesterday 2 of my lastest "new deals" arrived Fed Ex/UPS, the ESP Xtone PC-1V and an Am. Series HSS Strat. Plus a couple "deals" on Gretsches on the way-

So after that excitement and with the twinge of the usual buyer's remorse, I go to read myself asleep with my new "Guitar One" mag that just also arrived yesterday in the mail.

Flipping the pages there's a full page ad for the Epi Masterbilt AJ that I've been GAS'n for, and I note that it has the emblem for "Guitar Players Magazine" "Choice Award". :eek::love: I mean that must be a sign, right?

Then I flip a few more pages and I discover a gear review on the Gretsch Corvette I was drolling over, which I recently discovered on sale at Music 123. And they are giving it the "Guitar One Award of Excellence". :eek:

There is no cure for GAS, but no doubt, HCEG is baaaad, and so are the mags, and the e-mails, and the web browsing...

Must excercise self control!! :mad:

Look for "barely used" GAS Man gear for sale at a Spam thread near you! :D

:wave:

I think I should be sentenced to changing all my strings. That might help cure the GAS.

How you doin?

• Members

I've been affected by GAS recently, though maybe not as badly as some, I realised I would have to do something about it, if only for the sake of having space to move around in my gaff, so I ended up making a rule that I would have to sell or trade a proportionate amount of old, no-longer-used gear every time I wanted to buy something new, the only problem being that a lot of the shops are a lot more interested in selling you shiny new things than buying your old stuff off you.

• Members

I am looking at my current bunch of guitars and things, and I know that I am going to have to sell some of them. I am in the middle of having part of my basement finished to make a recording studio, and some of the guitars will go towards helping with the cost of that endeavor... It will be a fun place to have when it's done, but it will suck to not be able to buy gear until it's paid off :(

• Members

Originally posted by Mr Songwriter

I ended up making a rule that I would have to sell or trade a proportionate amount of old, no-longer-used gear every time I wanted to buy something new, the only problem being that a lot of the shops are a lot more interested in selling you shiny new things than buying your old stuff off you.

True,

That's why I need to get set up on ebay to sell. There's the GAS/gambling addictions over there you get to feed.

Originally posted by blueshawk1

I don't know if there's a cure for GAS, and don't really care. I'm not looking for a cure, I figure I could spend my money on worse things.

Besides, it's fun when you give into it and bring home a new guitar.

+1:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

Seriously, I have trouble with Gear Acquisition Syndrome. But I try to make wise purchases so I can unload later without too much loss when necessary.

And I have plenty of 0 interest rate lines of credit I'm making payments on. Some monthly, some deferred for a year.

AND!!

I reached my self-imposed number of maximum guitars (roughly my age).

So I'm swearing off from all buying unless I sell off some right?

And yesterday 2 of my lastest "new deals" arrived Fed Ex/UPS, the ESP Xtone PC-1V and a Am Series HSS Strat. Plus a couple "deals" on Gretsches on the way-

So I after that excitement and with the twinge of the usual buyer's remorse, I go to read myself asleep with my new "Guitar One" mag that just also arrived yesterday in the mail.

Flipping the pages there's a full page ad for the Epi Masterbilt AJ that I've been GAS'n for, and I note that it has the emblem for "Guitar Players Magazine" "Choice Award".
:eek::love:
I mean that must be a sign, right?

Then I flip a few more pages and I discover a gear review on the Gretsch Corvette I was drolling over, which I recently discovered on sale at Music 123. And they are giving it the "Guitar One Award of Excellence".
:eek:

There is no cure for GAS, but no doubt, HCEG is baaaad, and so are the mags, and the e-mails, and the web browsing...

Must excercise self control!!
:mad:

Look for "barely used" GAS Man gear for sale at a Spam thread near you!
:D

:wave:

I think I should be sentenced to changing all my strings. That might help cure the GAS.

How you doin?

After reviewing your patient files I can only conclude that you that you are in the final stages of G.A.S. and that after careful analysis I am confident your condition can be cured

Perscription: Patient needs to buy more guitars

See Dr. SoS in 6 months if G.A.S. symptoms have not improved through the purchase of at least 4 more guitars

If you are reading this post please send $5 to me as this is accuracte medical advice without a license

• Members

GAS is horrible. It even bleeds over to other stuff if unfulfilled. It's like a blob. For example - today I actually got GAS for a Vacuum Cleaner. A $500 DOLLAR vacuum. I think it was the price point. $500 is that familiar guitar gear price point. Gas is too powerful. Have you guys seen those Dyson Vacuums? Cool stuff.

• Members

I guess I don't have the normal variety of guitar acquisition syndrome. I buy guitars on a fairly regular basis and have about twenty of them. But I rarely GAS for one particular thing. Most of the time I drive around to used guitar stores and pawnshops and look for something old and cool and hopefully not too expensive. I turned down a 50s Gibson ES-125 recently because they wanted $1799 for it. Had it been $1200 it would have went home with me. A few days later I spent quite a bit more than that on a 1956 Gibson ES-175D. I was not GASsing for that particular guitar but happened to see it in a dealer's list. So I got it. It should be here today.

• Members

Originally posted by 1esotericguy

GAS is horrible. It even bleeds over to other stuff if unfulfilled. It's like a blob. For example - today I actually got GAS for a Vacuum Cleaner. A $500 DOLLAR vacuum. I think it was the price point. $500 is that familiar guitar gear price point. Gas is too powerful. Have you guys seen those Dyson Vacuums? Cool stuff.

Sir ,you are suffering from V.A.S. not G.A.S.

Vacuum Acquasition Syndrome

Sadly your condition is fatal

You have an estimated 90 days worth of lfe left. You are in the final terminal stages of V.A.S.

If your are reading this post please send me $5 for accurate medical advice without a license

• Members

Originally posted by 1esotericguy

Be careful,

The problem with the Dyson is "weak pickups".

I damn near bought one myself, until reading in Consumer Reports that the Hoover Wind Tunnel "Sucks Harder".

I know that for $300 you'll be afraid you're not getting the best suck value, but Consumer Reports is your Jewish Mother, "Would she lie?"

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Roy Brooks

A few days later I spent quite a bit more than that on a 1956 Gibson ES-175D. I was not GASsing for that particular guitar but happened to see it in a dealer's list. So I got it. It should be here today.

Congrats. One year older than me, but probably has a much better voice. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by spiritofsparta

See Dr. SoS in 6 months if G.A.S. symptoms have not improved through the purchase of at least 4 more guitars

If you are reading this post please send $5 to me as this is accuracte medical advice without a license

I've tried that cure, but it didn't work. Otherwise I'd gladly send you the five-er.

I ordered 4 this last week! Still GAS'n!:o

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

I've tried that cure, but it didn't work. Otherwise I'd gladly send you the five-er.

I ordered 4 this last week! Still GAS'n!
:o

Absolutely Incrediable.

Patient is past the preliminary stages of G.A.S. cure dosage

Analysis: Recommend that the maximum dosage be increased to 12 guitars over the next 6 month period

If the condition has not improved by then you may have a full blown case of G.A.S. which may require you to open a music store

• Members

I have actually started to clean out the gear I don't play.

I have sold three guitars and traded one for one.

I have 2 more I'm going to sell.

Both "06" Standard Tele and Strat.

That will still leave 14 guitars.

The only problem is that I've been going {censored} Crazy with buying pedals.

I guess I'm not really under control after all.

Hmmm guitars by age.

Damn, I have 37 to go.

I better get busy.

The Bear

Archived