apartment practice amp

barneyc4

• Members

Tube, SS, modeling?

Budget?

I like my Laney LC15r. Beautiful cleans.

Heard good things about Epi Valve series, head especially. Fender Champ is always useful. Those smaller Crate tube amps are supposed to be pretty good too.

If it's all tube, 5watts is plenty. Most ss amps don't really come that low (that I've seen) except crap like Gorillas.

• Members

A 5 watt tube amp will be way to loud for your apartment!

You are on the right track with the vox choices you gave. If it is for strictly apartment use only I would go with the DA5 cuz you'll get the best tone at the lowest volume. I have the AD50VT and I think both the cleans and the gain models are great for what it is.

• Members

Originally posted by 1esotericguy

VOX Da5. Battery operated is really convenient. I like to play in the kitchen sometimes, bedroom sometimes, living room sometimes, backyard sometimes. Etc. Makes lessons and jamming easy too.

Forgot to mention that I also have a Nano Amp and a Gilmore Jr and a Toneport. I'm like the apartment volume jam master. :D They're all quite good (nano is my current fave), but the Da5 for the money is the best purchase. $125 and you can dial in anything.

• Members

Originally posted by 1esotericguy

VOX Da5. Battery operated is really convenient. I like to play in the kitchen sometimes, bedroom sometimes, living room sometimes, backyard sometimes. Etc. Makes lessons and jamming easy too.

Forgot to mention that I also have a Nano Amp and a Gilmore Jr and a Toneport. I'm like the apartment volume jam master. :D They're all quite good (nano is my current fave), but the Da5 for the money is the best purchase. $125 and you can dial in anything.

• Members

I have a Powerblock, Fender Pro Jr and Epi Valve Jr. If you crank a 5 watt amp, there is plenty there to get noise complaints.

But I think using anything more than 15 watts means you have to turn it so low that you neuter the sound, so I would use that as a max for tube amps. SS is more forgiving, so the 150W Powerblock works fine.

Also, Weber makes smaller attenuators, in 15 and 25W varieties. I have a 25W attenutator that I can use with the two tube amps to trim the volume a bit. I'm not sure how much "better" it works over just turning the volume down, but it does include a line out, so you could set the attenuator to max, so there was zero sound output, and run that into a recorder, in order to have real tube tones on your apartment recordings. In this way, you could completely crank the Pro Jr with no sound to bother neighbors.

• Members

the most versatile amp I've ever owned is Crate VC508 - my apartment amp

it's a 5w tube amp with a SS chip in the preamp - the tube purists seem to hate this, but I can run it with the volume near zero and turn up the gain and get crunch and gain at near zero level - great at 1 am, quieter than a radio

granted, it ain't a sweet sound, but if you wanna amp rock late night in your apartment...

I had a speaker out installed so I can run it into my 2x12 for practice, or even a gig if I needed to

they can be had used for $100-150

the VC58 is the current model version - don't believe there are any major differences outside of cosmetics, but I could be wrong

• Members

I use my Traynor YCV40 all the time late at night when everybodys sleeping or when I just want to play or practice without subjecting myself to any real volume. It sounds surprisingly good on either channel at low volumes. I've never seen an amp give up such good OD tones that you could easily talk over. Ask around, everyone I've talked to that has one has said the same thing. I had no Idea when I bought it but there it was!

• Members

Go to www.rockbeachguitars.com and check the side menu for "CigarBox Amps" and you will also find a nice clip in the "listen to them" link. You can also use them to drive headphones with the addition of a 1/4" mono to stereo adaptor. I have driven 2x15 and 4x12 cabs with it very effectively (hard to talk over it) Boggs