Need Some General Considerations for Recording Acoustic Guitar

• Members

Omni didn't sound as good. Cardiod. Peluso 22 251.

Tracked onto two monos. Ended up with one panned R70 and the other at RL100 with a delay set at around 10ms.

It freaked me out so much that I brought up the guitar track from my last tune for comparison.....think I may be a mono convert. At least for now.;):cool:

• Members

I've spent some more time experimenting with the double tracking. I actually get the strongest phase effect when both tracks are centered. So rather than panning creating phasing, it is actually needed to some degree to remove it.

I'm trying to understand the physics of this, that the signals interfere when they are both coming through the same speaker but not when through separate speakers.

Hard panning creates the "biggest" sound, but also an effect that I can only describe as "confusing". Differences in the timing of the two parts are maximized, leading to a sort of back-and-forth effect between the two speakers as the parts alternate from being slightly ahead or behind each other. Panning 75L-75R largely addresses this, creating a more coherent overall flow while maintaining the bigness.

Also back to my original question, I'm finding that some compression and EQ are still needed, but much more lightly than when I was working with the single track.

• Members

I usually end up with my two mono tracks at around 35/35....seems to sound best there.

As far as compression and EQ.....I generally take a close look at the mono tracks and give them what they need before I bounce them to a stereo track. I like to clear out any mud at this point. Since I'm using two completely different chains they each tend to have a different 'presence point'......so this is also a good time for any little bump that might help.

Here's a little thing I did on my last tune..........I put a little reverb on one side and a little delay on the other before putting them on a stereo track.

Generally like to save the compression until the stereo track.

• Members

.....As far as compression and EQ.....I generally take a close look at the mono tracks and give them what they need before I bounce them to a stereo track.......

......I put a little reverb on one side and a little delay on the other before putting them on a stereo track.

Generally like to save the compression until the stereo track.

My buddy at work mentioned the option to process each mono track separately. Something else to experiment with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I usually put a large diaphragm condensor in between the upper frets and the soundhole, though i've got good results by putting it in front of the soundhole, too. I don't tend to like dynamic mics on acoustic guitars, just because if the player moves a fair bit, it picks up too much of the proximity effect--though that can work on certain tracks, too.

• Members

Here are some tips of mine that may work for you. They've worked for me but I'm no top pro!

On single acoustic guitar tracks:- try 2 matched SDCs in an XY configuration slightly below the soundhole at around 12-24". You can find the best position by moving the mics around a bit and seeing what works best. Sometimes, nearer the neck sounds better, sometimes nearer the bridge. Make sure BOTH mics are pointing at the strings and don't bring that angle much below 90'.

I find with this technique, the only processing I need is a HPF somewhere around 40-50Hz. When you're mixing, play with the faders and panning until it starts sounding 'real'. About 80% left and right is about as far as you'll need to pan and you'll find you should end up with a very pleasant tone across the range of the guitar. You shouldn't need to bother with any compression until the mastering stage and if you send the material to a professional mastering house, you should be very happy with the results...

just my .02

• Members

I got a really good acoustic recorded sound the other day. I used the thinline pickup out into a Fishman pre panned 9:00 and a Woodpecker ribbon almost at the headstock aiming down the neck panned at 3:00. Neither sound soloed sounded right, but together they just worked fantastic. This was on a '72 small bodied Martin guitar with silk and steel strings.

Archived