**** you, pay me

• Members

Some of the guys I really feel for are the boutique amp and effects manufacturers. You can design a really badass amp and then someone can go online, steal your schematic and release a ripoff clone of it. What if that happened to Jim Marshall, Vox or Fender when they were releasing their benchmark products in the early years?

Kind of like what most boutique companies did to Marshall, Vox and Fender?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I play in a few bands that headline shows for that price or less and I still make a living playing music. It ultimately depends on what your requirements are for a basic standard of living and how much you tour.

I have no qualms with living in a house with roommates and I don't feel the need to have cable or go out to eat with any frequency or a lot of luxuries that some people enjoy. Last year, I was also on tour for roughly nine months of the year. When tours slow down, money gets really tight.

Ironically, in the last two years since the economy went to {censored}, I've been doing the best with music that I ever have. I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm indicative of the average underground metal musician, but I know I'm not the only one that does it, either.

Point taken, well said....

But to say that the music business isn't hurting is nonsense..........

Is Nonsense......

• Members

I know yours are. So are those put out by Blackwatch and THB. Cheri has some nice recordings. But most of them I hear from local guys aren't very well done and sound unfinished, frankly sounding like work CDs rather than a finished product.

It's true. If I weren't a professional Engineer (And I still had problems in my mix/mastering because of my room etc) I know enough to have gotten one to record/Mix and Master my stuff. Unfortunately, most musicians don't realize they don't know what they are doing and thus do themselves the disservice of putting out a crappy sounding work. It's a bummer.:confused:

• Members

So, I did the cost/benefit analysis factoring everything in. It's a new game out there in Music and I don't like where it's going. I see the singer songwriter scene still being viable with house concerts and patron fans keeping a select few talented and relentless artists alive
but the ability to make enough to have a nice future with a family..well that's not realistic and I based it on many many that I know who are doing it. At least in film you can be involved in something creative and get paid a decent wage doing it! Those days are OVER in music...They are OVER.

What do you define as a nice future with a family?

• Members

Kind of like what most boutique companies did to Marshall, Vox and Fender?

I guess so, but those are just clone amps. Every so often, you get your Mike Soldanos and Reinhold Bogners who create their own unique product and they operate independently at a very small, localized level. We're at a point now where you can go online and find amp and pedal schematic databases. You couldn't even do that in the late eighties and mid 90s.

• Members

Besides, hobbyist bands are rarely pirated. Same with local bands that are a bit more serious and can actually sell records (at which point, giving away everything for free starts making less sense). The bands that have to wonder about piracy are those with at least a regional following.

Yeah its true, piracy is not directly affecting small bands... But still, even if your band isn't pirated yet, the overall devaluation of music is hurting independants. Its harder and harder to sell music, even at live shows. Because everyone is accustomed to have it for free. Why would they buy your indie band CD when they can have the ones from big bands for free?

• Members

Frankly, I can understand why the *low-end* studio is dying off -- those old studios you found in the 1980s that recorded "demos", using so-so equipment, run by a guy that probably knew as much about recording as you do. DIY kills them off.

The DAW does *not* kill off the pro. It has added to the tech -- although traditional large-format analog consoles still exists, and some seem to still swear by them, there is competition (with summing boxes, mixed-mode analog-digital controllers, etc.). But a top notch studio with folks who know what they are doing are going to be tons better than the DIY guy. It would still be worth paying money for a good recording... if the money in music was there.

YES. This is an excellent summary. If I did not have a home studio I'd be recording in some guy's garage paying him 10 bucks per hour. I would not be tracking someplace at $50 per hour or more. My home studio killed the need for me to pay some guy who knows what I do but had the money to spend on equipment.

• Members

Oh, that was not my intention at all.

I know things are {censored}ed in the music business for a whole variety of reasons.

I didn't take it that way....I just thought you made a very good point. The nonsense bit was for the other point made...:thu:

• Members

A to-the-(insert expletives here) MEN.

See, you can do it without cursing. Your welcome, daddymack.

And if it were me writing that article, there'd be so many expletives that I'd never get past the part that said that
"56% of U.S. Internet users think that music isn’t worth paying for. Let me repeat that again: music isn’t worth paying for."

And the guy on the can? My neighbor...

I don't really buy that number. The fact that people are buying less music with the creation of p2p software and file sharing sites shows that they did think it was worth buying before. Maybe it should be stated that 56% internet users don't think it's worth paying for when it's easy to steal.

• Members

I'm an asshole...here Bluestrat paid me a very nice compliment and I turn around and give him hell on his political post. I'm sorry Pat...I hadn't read the posts clearly...

For the record, Bluestrat is one of my favorite guitar players and his CD "Don't Touch My Guitar" actually got me to pick up my electric and learn to play it. No kidding. He's world class......

There is something about the fluid way he plays and the speed that just gets to me. Listen to it.

Sorry to digress.....

• Members

I'm an asshole...here Bluestrat paid me a very nice compliment and I turn around and give him hell on his political post. I'm sorry Pat...I hadn't read the posts clearly...

For the record, Bluestrat is one of my favorite guitar players and his CD "Don't Touch My Guitar" actually got me to pick up my electric and learn to play it. No kidding. He's world class......

There is something about the fluid way he plays and the speed that just gets to me. Listen to it.

Sorry to digress.....

Well, thanks for the compliments. And I didn't even see the post where you gave me any hell, so it's water off a duck's ass to me. And anyway, we're all grownups, and we can disagree with each other's politics and still be friends. Can't we? :wave:

Archived