HELP! Garageband for ipad questions

• Members

My Garageband songs sound cool when i use the internal instruments, but when I use the built in mic, the songs seem to emit an annoying high frequency sound during playback.

1) Any idea why?

2) Will using some kind of plugged in mic help?

3) What do you use to record vocals on garageband for ipad?

Thanks for any help!

I don't own an iPad.. just a MacBook and an iPhone 3GS. I'd imagine the noise is possibly from a fan or other component in the iPad, although I've never heard of such an issue prior to this... I'd try an external mic. Alesis has a new pro-level "dock" for the iPad that will accept pro mikes (I started a thread about it here recently), and other companies make add-on products for the iPad - IK Multimedia has a new mic specifically designed for Apple iOS devices you might want to check out... but I'd definitely ask around on Apple / iPad forums (or some of the other forums here on HC) to see if that's a "known" issue with the iPad, or something that's just affecting your individual unit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Everything I've read about the iODock is excellent. Huge bang for the buck.

Strange that the built in mic isn't working correctly for you, I've heard that it actually works pretty well. Have you tried using the internal mic with the iPad in various environments - rooms and locations. Maybe your wireless router, microwave, or previous dead spirits that used to occupy the houser are emitting interfering frequencies. Also, try a friend's iPad to see if your unit has problems.

Rock on,

groovezilla

www.groovezoo.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Noise gate might work, that's a post-production issue. Another way to deal with it is to "cut" all of your vocal track that has no vocals, play with niche frequency filters, and see if the noise doesn't become so background as to be indiscernable. Of course, if it's a narration voice-over you're recording, go to the source of the problem, get an external mic.

Archived