How big is an average guitar box?

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

Originally posted by Mr_GoodBomb

Just took a poke around some box sales, and some carriers actually sell guitar boxes. 50x8x20.

FedEx claims a box that size, 10 pounds, declared for 300 bucks of value is 16 bucks?

Sounds about right. I bought peanuts from them, tape and insured a guitar for $400 and shipping was $27.

An easy way to get a good guitar box is to ask your local shop for one. They usually charge $0-5.

...To answer your original question:

slightly larger than a guitar, yet smaller than an elephant

• Members

I find the box first before trying to get a quote. The weight of the guitar doesn't matter because it will ship Oversize 1 (as if it weighed 30lbs). If the box is too big, it will ship Oversize 2 (90lb rate).

UPS once told me that instruments need 2 inches of packing all around to be covered by their insurance. I didn't ask how a case would affect that.

• Members

Yeah, we went to ship a guitar once and they asked me "could it survive a drop of four feet or less?" and I responded with "...do you plan on dropping it four feet or less?"

The lady asked me a {censored}ton of similar questions. It's the only time it's happened, though.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr_GoodBomb

Yeah, we went to ship a guitar once and they asked me "could it survive a drop of four feet or less?" and I responded will "...do you plan on dropping it four feet or less?"

The lady asked me a {censored}ton of similar questions. It's the only time it's happened, though.

I had a box show up to a buyer once with tire prints on it. {censored} the fall of 4 feet, will they use it for a parking chock.

Archived