Midi Triggering Dumb Noises Problem

• Members

I'm having a problem whenever I try to record midi. You know how some midi voices make a different noise with a high velocity note? I hate that. How can I turn it off or get a program to ignore velocity?

There's a guitar voice I like in Garage Band, but when I hit a moderately hard note, it "slides into" the note. It sounds hideous when it's not intended.

The same thing happens in Ableton with a bass I like. When I hit a moderately hard note it changes from pick tone to slap. It sounds awful.

I can always go back in and lower every note to get the tone I want, but it makes playing difficult when it sounds like you're playing a different tone for every note, or you have parts of a chord sliding while others do not. I'd much rather have all my notes recorded at the same velocity and then make adjustments later.

I'm using a You Rock guitar for my input and any help would be appreciated.

http://www.yourockguitar.com/support/manuals

Download the manual, if you don't already have it. You'll also probably need to have the latest firmware installed in your You Rock Guitar (YRG). What you need to set is the velocity scaling on the You Rock Guitar (YRG). One of the available options is "fixed" - this sets the controller so that all the MIDI note values are fixed at the same velocity value. That way, no matter how hard you play, or how soft, all the MIDI notes are outputting the same velocity.

Supposedly, if you have the latest firmware, this parameter can be adjusted / set right from the controller itself, although I was unable to find instructions for doing so in the manual. If you're using a PC, they have Control Panel software that should assist you:

http://www.yourockguitar.com/freebies/control-panel

Sorry, but I do not have a YRG myself - I just saw them at NAMM though, and thought they were pretty cool. Hopefully you'll be able to find the way to adjust those parameters - I don't know the specific buttons you'll need to press, but that is the parameter you'll want to adjust - the velocity scaling. Set it to "fixed" and you should be all set.

Good luck - please let me know if you're able to get it figured out and working the way you want it to.

• Members

If you want to correct this retroactively for existing recordings in addition to setting up your controller, it's pretty easy in Live. IIRC, you select all the MIDI notes in a clip and change the velocity parameter on the instrument to the desired level.

• Members

Download the manual, if you don't already have it. You'll also probably need to have the latest firmware installed in your You Rock Guitar (YRG). What you need to set is the velocity scaling on the You Rock Guitar (YRG). One of the available options is "fixed" - this sets the controller so that all the MIDI note values are fixed at the same velocity value. That way, no matter how hard you play, or how soft, all the MIDI notes are outputting the same velocity.

Supposedly, if you have the latest firmware, this parameter can be adjusted / set right from the controller itself, although I was unable to find instructions for doing so in the manual. If you're using a PC, they have Control Panel software that should assist you:

Sorry, but I do not have a YRG myself - I just saw them at NAMM though, and thought they were pretty cool. Hopefully you'll be able to find the way to adjust those parameters - I don't know the specific buttons you'll need to press, but that is the parameter you'll want to adjust - the velocity scaling. Set it to "fixed" and you should be all set.

Good luck - please let me know if you're able to get it figured out and working the way you want it to.

That did it. This is from the manual:

"Submenu 3 - Velocity Tables

Here you can adjust the reaction of the You Rock Guitar to various modes of picking. Each of the velocity tables handles dynamics

• Members

If you want to correct this retroactively for existing recordings in addition to setting up your controller, it's pretty easy in Live. IIRC, you select all the MIDI notes in a clip and change the velocity parameter on the instrument to the desired level.

Where is the option to change the velocity parameter? I only know how to change individual notes, or highlight and drag all the notes together.

Sorry for the dumb question, I find Ableton's interface completely boggling.

Archived