Good overdrive to pair up with the FenderPro Jr.

burton4snow

• Members

Some good suggestions here.

One thing you might want to try is replacing the 12AX7 preamp tubes with some lower powered tubes like 12AU7's. Then stick a good OD like the Fulltone or a Radial Tonebone Hot Brit in front. It will sound less harsh in the upper mids and you will cut out some of the noise.

Pro Jrs are voiced, like all of the Fender amps of that particular series, way too hot. By the time you get to where it breaks up naturally, you are pretty much deaf.

Maybe instead of an OD, you should consider an attenuator (check the ones that Weber VST has). That way you can get some power tube distortion instead of preamp distortion.:idea:

• Members

I think I may try an AU7 at some point. I swapped over to an AT7, but the AU7 only has like 50% of the gain of the AT7 so I'd imagine it would make the power tubes work even harder, right?

As for OD suggestions, I think a TS9, BD-2 or Bad Monkey would be good for adding a little edginess, or either the TS9 or an OD2 for something a bit heavier.

• Members

I also like the TS9.

I recently bought a Bad Monkey, and I'm sorry folks, the TS9 is still my preference.

But I like that the Bad Monkey has a separate Bass control. I have several amps, but for example, on my 1st generation Marshall Valvestate, I'd pick the Bad Monkey cuz, w/o an EQ boost, the BM by itself can really warm that amp up a bit with it's bass boost.

But in comparing the two, the TS9 has more of an airy rock stadium kind of tone to it, almost somewhat reverby in its quality. So now since the Pro Junior, which I also own, has a fairly thick Fender tone anyway, I think the extra bass benefit of the BM might just muddy the water a bit.

So +1 TS9

Reverb.

I have three

Boss RV-3 (best pedal)

Digitech Digiverb (sounds more "digital" less organic to me)

Peavey Profex rack unit. The best of the three. It's spring reverb sounds like the real thing.

I haven't tried the Holy Grail yet. :cry:

But I did notice before ordering the Digiverb that there was a common thread in the user reviews for the HG that a lot of the users heard a bit too much noise from the pedal.

So I'm tempted to recommend the newer Boss RV-5

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-RV5-Digital-Reverb-Effects-Pedal?sku=151303

• Members

For an out-of-the-box overdrive, I would definitely give a look at the Boss Blues Driver...for rhythm playing, it's excellent. It's also a lot more transparent than the Tubescreamer, I've found...the TS-9 definitely cuts the lows and boosts the midrange. The Blues Driver will cut the lows a slight bit, but can be compensated for with the tone knob.

For my blues rig, I'm running a Strat through both a Blues Driver (for rhythm) and a TS-9 (for leads)...sounds great, no matter what amp I'm using at the time.

• Members

Originally posted by burton4snow

HolyGrail or what

. . . amen !

If you can not afford a $1000.00 all-valve Fender reverb tank, i swear my the Holy Grail !

"IF" you can, the Holier Grail is also def. worth a look !

(...but the Holy Grail is just perfect too !)

For OD, (i have the Blues jr.), i use various OD's with great results !

These are my fav. :

* Vintage 80's RAT (must have that LM308 chip :evil: )

* ZW44 - very underrated ! So much better than the SD-1, which it is based on !!!

* Marshall Bluesbreaker OD/Boost - fantastic value for yer Buck !

* Boss BD-2 - just a bloody great OD - FACT !!!

. . . but it really depends what tone you are after !

Good Luck !

;)

EDIT :

. . . i nearly forgot about the EHX LPB - that is my next OD/Boost box :cool::thu:

• Members

Originally posted by gorebuc

In between the speaker and the amp. Its really easy on a Pro Jr. since the speaker plugs in via a 1/4" input.

On the website there is a 50watt and a 25watt which one is best is it the 25watt for the Pro Jr. Once I get if you don't mind I would like to email you or send you a direct message so I can get it set up right and get a good tone out of it. Thanks!

• Members

I've used several different OD's with the PJ, and they all seem to work well. Although I haven't tried it on this amp yet, the suggestion for an AT or AY7 is also worth looking into. I also have a Weber Mini-MASS, and it seems to work fairly well.

The Fulldrive 2 and OCD work great.

• Members

Originally posted by JustinThyme

I've used several different OD's with the PJ, and they all seem to work well. Although I haven't tried it on this amp yet, the suggestion for an AT or AY7 is also worth looking into. I also have a Weber Mini-MASS, and it seems to work fairly well.

I was totally looking at the Fulldrive 2. Hey, when I get the Weber Mini-Mass and the Fulldrive 2 can I pick your brain on some settings. Let me know? Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by JustinThyme

I was totally looking at the Fulldrive 2. Hey, when I get the Weber Mini-Mass and the Fulldrive 2 can I pick your brain on some settings. Let me know? Thanks

Archived