Opinions needed on LP copies!

ajitaw

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

As a semi-pro Agile basher, you could at least TRY to get the facts straight-Agiles are made in Korea, while SX are made in China.

Or was that simply purposeful misinformation?

Larry

Frankly Larry I don't care where they are made. Was my post a bash or a simple statement of fact? They are what they are. Budget guitars, plain and simple. Are they made with low end parts? Yes. Do parts get much lower quality? No. Are they budget guitars? Yes. Are they made in China? I guess not. Is a $999 brand new Gibson Les Pau Studio a better guitar and value? It's a matter of opinion but mine is that it's an exceptional value.

If it will make you happy I will freely admit I look down upon Agiles, Sxs, and other low cost Asian guitars. I do not however look down on those who choose to buy and play them. If I were 17 years old and short on cash I'd own one. I may even buy one for my 4 year old boy to play with. You Agile guys are way too sensitive.

• Members

Originally posted by markas214

OK. So you own an Edwards. Agiles are made in Korea not China. Big {censored}ing deal. Either way Agiles are cheap copies (a definition for those who will call me a basher, cheap=low cost, copy= styled after Gibson) and Edwards don't come close to my Custom Shop R7 and saying they are better than a Gibson may help you compensate for your low income and limited choice but doesn't make it true. Actually I am one of those guys who can afford a Lexus but choose an '06 Hemi Durango fo me and an '06 Chrysler for my wife. Notice a trend here. I support Americans when I can. Don't underestimate the Chinese? I don't. Unfortunately our government does by promoting a huge transfer of US wealth to buy cheap products and build a military machine that very soon will be greater than ours.

No one said these Edwards being talked about are the equal of a Gibson Custom Shop model...did they? I certainly didn't. But they are alot better than any basic Studio or Studio Premium Plus I've tried...and better than most Standard Pluses, as well. An ESP Navigator might be a different story, but then we'd be talking similiar money, just like the Edwards/Studio comparison.

How do you know I have a low income and limited choice? I buy what I feel suits my needs. Income is not an issue. I could buy whatever I wanted to. You wanna throw your "my dick is bigger than yours, at me", be prepared...

Man...you're making an awful lot of {censored}ing assumptions, ya know? Not a good idea. While it might not make an ass outta me, it certainly could make one outta you.

And good for your buying American, I'm proud of you...

• Members
Originally posted by Cade

No one said these Edwards being talked about are the equal of a Gibson Custom Shop model...did they? I certainly didn't. But they are alot better than any basic Studio or Studio Premium Plus I've tried...and better than most Standard Pluses, as well. An ESP Navigator might be a different story, but then we'd be talking similiar money, just like the Edwards/Studio comparison.

How do you know I have a low income and limited choice? I buy what I feel suits my needs. Income is not an issue. I could buy whatever I wanted to. You wanna throw your "my dick is bigger than yours, at me", be prepared...

Man...you're making an awful lot of {censored}ing assumptions, ya know? Not a good idea. While it might not make an ass outta me, it certainly could make one outta you.

And good for your buying American, I'm proud of you...

Make an ass out of you? Hmm let's see who began the insults "And it would cost you more....you must be one of those guys who pays for the Lexus and takes the Corolla instead." My original post miscorrectly stated Agiles are made in China. Wrong. It also said they are budget guitars. Is that not a good characterization? Then I said that Edwards and LTDs are held in high regard. Not exactly a put down. Since I can't give a first hand recommendation I was implying they have a good reputation. Finally I recommended a LP Studio. I've owned two and very seriously believe that a $999 Studio is a good deal. So if you want to continue this you can. I stand by what I said originally.

• Members

Originally posted by markas214

Make an ass out of you? Hmm let's see who began the insults "And it would cost you more....you must be one of those guys who pays for the Lexus and takes the Corolla instead." My original post miscorrectly stated Agiles are made in China. Wrong. It also said they are budget guitars. Is that not a good catagorization? Then I said that Edwards and LTDs are held in high regard. Not exactly a put down. Since I can't give a first hand recommendation I was implying they have a good reputation. Finally I recommended a LP Studio. I've owned two and very seriously believe that a $999 Studio is a good deal. So if you want to continue this you can. I stand by what I said originally.

There is no insult in saying that Agiles are made in China, or in Korea. Or that they're cheap/inexpensive. No insult in saying that Edwards and LTDs are held in high regard. And there was no insult when I said that "you must be one of those guys who pays for the Lexus and takes the Corolla instead"...that was a statement made to point out how some people buy the name on the headstock rather the guitar it's emblazoned on. How some better choices are overlooked because they're not the tried and true norm. If the shoe fits, it applied to anyone who might read it...

Where the insult came in was your comment about how I needed to "compensate for my low income and limit my choices" because of it. Sorry, but I took that as an insult. A chance for you to point out that you need not limit yours. We heard about your Custom Shop guitar and your big cars...all in one post.

Good for you...glad you have alot of money. Some people here don't, but have just as much passion for attaining a guitar they can afford and would be happy with. Everything is relative...and I know some here can't afford what you can.

The OP asked for recommendations...which should lead to positive input from those that respond.

• Members

Good for you...glad you have alot of money. Some people here don't, but have just as much passion for attaining a guitar they can afford and would be happy with. Everything is relative...and I know some here can't afford what you can.

The OP asked for recommendations...which should lead to positive input from those that respond.

When Iwas twenty-three years old I was dirt poor. I could put everything I owned into one suitcase. I could tell you how good a can of refried beans tastes when that's all you've got to eat. It is as good as a $50 steak. Again I will say this, my original post which you felt you need to reply negatively to was a recommendation for a .LP Studio for $999 with comments on what the original poster was looking at in addition to a comment about the inevitable mention of Agile

• Members
Originally posted by Shuck07

500HB_Main.jpg

+1........I still can't believe how much I like my Xaviere X-500. Im playing it as I type this. It is up there playability wise, actually all around wise with the big boys, which with the incredibly low pricetag is still kinda shocking to me.

• Members

HA! wow... I must have asked the right question!

well anyways... yes, in my budget oriented mind I think that a Edwards would be a better guitar then a LP studio... definitly in looks but in feel as well... hehe I hope I'm right...

and BTW.. I think if one of them were ed roman then they would say that the Baker is a "no-brainer" over all these guitars :rolleyes:

• Members

I'm in trouble...

:o

I went to one of my local shops today to get a big box to ship one of the guitars & case I sold on eBay this past Friday....and

...hangin' on the wall was this beautiful Gibson LP Faded in Tobacco Burst. '50's neck as I like and the thing must only weigh 8 lbs. Like an idiot (a frequent occurance with me), I asked that it be taken down from it's high perch.

Uh oh....great neck...

Not flaw-free by any means....but what a top and what a neck....and so lightweight, not like the others I've tried which felt like they were waterlogged.

$1599 with a couple of packs of Dr's and a nice leather strap, and now I own a F**king Gibson! I don't believe it (actually I should...I've been trying to find one that said "you need to buy me" for a long time).

Sounds great...better than my Edwards? Don't know yet...gotta watch my football team play in a few minutes.

:love:

:D

The damn case is white inside...WHITE!! They said it meant it was a guitar from heaven....yeah right.

Maybe....

:p

• Members

I'm in trouble...

I went to one of my local shops today to get a big box to ship one of the guitars & case I sold on eBay this past Friday....and

...hangin' on the wall was this beautiful Gibson LP Faded in Tobacco Burst. '50's neck as I like and the thing must only weigh 8 lbs. Like an idiot (a frequent occurance with me), I asked that it be taken down from it's high perch.

Uh oh....great neck...

Not flaw-free by any means....but what a top and what a neck....and so lightweight, not like the others I've tried which felt like they were waterlogged.

$1599 with a couple of packs of Dr's and a nice leather strap, and now I own a F**king Gibson! I don't believe it (actually I should...I've been trying to find one that said "you need to buy me" for a long time).

Sounds great...better than my Edwards? Don't know yet...gotta watch my football team play in a few minutes.

:love:

:D

The damn case is white inside...WHITE!! They said it meant it was a guitar from heaven....yeah right.

Maybe....

:p

whats the big deal about owning a Gibson? I had 5 by the time I was 18:confused:
congrats on the guitar:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by ajitaw

HA! wow... I must have asked the right question!

well anyways... yes, in my budget oriented mind I think that a Edwards would be a better guitar then a LP studio... definitly in looks but in feel as well... hehe I hope I'm right...

and BTW.. I think if one of them were ed roman then they would say that the Baker is a "no-brainer" over all these guitars
:rolleyes:

From what I hear, Edwards is your safest bet.

I had a 2003 Agile delivered last week, and it is quite a good guitar. Not for the money; it's better than that. Unfortunately, several things would keep me from buying one at double the price (what Epiphone charges for a similar model).

1. cheap, cheap, cheap electronics. I cannot speak for those built today, which claim upgrades, but the electronics in this one are cheap. The stock PUs are passible, the pots scratchy and the tone control doesn't work. Keep in mind this is used, but the former owner babied it. Note that this is something I can also say of the Epis I've played over the last few years in the $500 range.

2. minor finish flaws. These used to be typical of budget guitars, but I can't remember the last Schecter (again at double the price) I saw with bubbles in the finish or gaps around the fretboard inlays. These are small and all but imperceptible, but they are there.

However, there is much good to be said of it. A few:

1. It is a very comfortable instrument, its light weight belying its budget price.

2. The neck is a great blend of modern thin and vintage chunky. It's a nice comfortable in-between. Fretwork is A+

3. The body is VERY resonant; a good quality, especially when considering pickup upgrades.

Overall I'm impressed by the quality instrument that can be had for the price, especially if you can look past a few minor cosmetic issues. I have heard finish quality has improved, as have the electronics, so my picking of minor nits may not be something that applies to today's Agiles.

...and it's certainly worth an electronics upgrade!

• Members
Originally posted by dimmypage

whats the big deal about owning a Gibson? I had 5 by the time I was 18:confused:

congrats on the guitar:thu:

It's a good thing...the comment was made in jest. I just should not have spent the money. Not that it cost twice what my Edwards cost. It's a different animal altogether. I'm not saying better...just different. I absolutely LOVE the faded series.

It's just that I've been saying the Edwards are a better deal than a Gibson and I still stand by that. But they don't make a faded version. And I've wanted one for years.

I should not have gone in that store today and I almost didn't. Had it been a few days from now, it would have been gone, no doubt, and I would have been none the wiser.

But maybe the white interior of the case does mean it's "the guitar from heaven"? ;)

thanks for the congrats...

:)

• Members

It's a good thing...the comment was made in jest. I just should not have spent the money. Not that it cost twice what my Edwards cost. It's a different animal altogether. I'm not saying better...just different. I absolutely LOVE the faded series.

It's just that I've been saying the Edwards are a better deal than a Gibson and I still stand by that. But they don't make a faded version. And I've wanted one for years.

I should not have gone in that store today and I almost didn't. Had it been a few days from now, it would have been gone, no doubt, and I would have been none the wiser.

But maybe the white interior of the case does mean it's "the guitar from heaven"?
;)

thanks for the congrats...

:)

Nothing wrong with owning any guitar providing that you really like it.Thats what matters:thu: :wave:

• Members

You mean you paid for a Lexus, and brought home a Corolla?

• Members
Originally posted by Tom LP

You mean you paid for a Lexus, and brought home a Corolla?

LOL

got me....

I'm just waiting for markas214 to chime in...

No, I would say in this case I paid for the Lexus and it turned out to actually be a Lexus. Too many I've played in the past seemed to be Toyotas that said Lexus on the headstock. And that's why I bought it. Because it really is one...

As an aside, speaking of Lexus...I have a friend who bought a Toyota, not sure exactly which model, and went out of his way to get all the Lexus emblems/badges etc to fool people into thinking his car was a Lexus. :freak:

• Members

LOL

got me....

I'm just waiting for markas214 to chime in...

No, I would say in this case I paid for the Lexus and it turned out to actually be a Lexus. Too many I've played in the past seemed to be Toyotas that said Lexus on the headstock. And that's why I bought it. Because it really is one...

As an aside, speaking of Lexus...I have a friend who bought a Toyota, not sure exactly which model, and went out of his way to get all the Lexus emblems/badges etc to fool people into thinking his car was a Lexus.
:freak:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Enjoy your new axe.

• Members

Good for you Cade! It is very refreshing to see someone who admits a mistake, error in judgement, uh...whatever, and take responsibility for it.

Congratulations on your new Gibson Les Paul!

Oh, here's some financial advice: Don't go trying any of the Gibson Historic guitars unless you're ready to buy one of those too.

Archived