Blemished Relic?

SteelyD2

• Members

No word of a lie - somoene I know was selling a relic and the sale fell through becasue he told the buyer that the guitar had some marks from him actually playing it.

It's an odd bunch that buys those things so who the heck knows!

• Members

It probably just has some wear marks that look like real wear marks and not something made with a belt sander.

:D

I actually thought about that when I saw my first Blackie replica. I thought at $24,000, they'd never let me play it. But then I though, 'Why not? Are they afraid I might ding it?'

As the above poster said, it's a crazy world. They'll take a $1,000 guitar, bang it up... charge $24,000 for it and then put it in a glass case so the riff raff won't put any actual wear marks on it.

• Members

Originally posted by silmaneero

Would a really good repair job, rendering the finish good as new, count as a blem? Like an anti-blem?

Not if it had been pre-relic'd. You could always have it re-blem'd. One free of all blem's is considered "ablemic," which is unrelated to "Alembic."

If a new guitar (not a relic) is sold as a blem, can you take it to a good (and I'm talking really, REALLY good, mind you) luthier to have it relic'd? Would that be called a blermic?

• Members

Originally posted by Andre XXX

I'll gaurantee it means some or all of the case candy is missing or the case is blemished in some way...........

The guitar will be fine !!!

OK, this makes a little sense, although the concept of a relic'd guitar needing a flawless new case is a little screwed up, too.

D

• Members

This is hilarious. A blemished relic ... a guitar oxymoron. Next they will call "B-Stock" a "Light Relic"and "C-stock" a "Medium Relic" so they can ask more for them. A used guitar could be called a "Light Relic Conversion".

Geezus, I wish the guitar makers would get over this pre-torn blue jeans, wannabe tuff-guy, look like I've been rode hard and put away wet, fake-o bull{censored}. To me this is like a bunch of little kids dressed up for halloween but carrying beat-up guitars.

Ding-dong ... Trick or Treat, Mr. Rogers!

"Oh how cute, it's little Johnny ... you're a rockstar aren't you?"

Uh-huh.

"And that must be your axe ... all beat up from years of paying your dues in dingy clubs and parents without partners dances (bag dances), right?"

Uh-huh, and I can really play the ass off this thing but it's really a fakeout new-old guitar."

Sure Johnny, I'm down with that. It's fun to play dress-up isn't it?

Right now I am thinking maybe Dr. Phil isn't so stupid after all and that's scarey.

• Members

I guess it could also be a return. I am going to order a NOS model play it non-stop for 29 days and then call and say they sent me the relic.

I hear Gibson is releasing a pre-smashed Pete Townsend Les Paul Deluxe that actually comes BROKEN in the case. MSRP $24,000.00 to compete with Blackie.

• Members

Originally posted by 6down1togo

This is hilarious. A blemished relic ... a guitar oxymoron.

Actually, I think "blemished relic" would be a redundancy, which doesn't make it any less ridiculous. The suggestion that this is a return seems to make the most sense so far.

D

Archived