How are the Rode M5's ?

• Moderators

I've been on for a search for good pair of SDCs to record rhythm acoustic guitar. I've considered a few others, but how are the Rode M5's ? They seem to be fairly new and there aren't many reviews and sample recordings, aside from the couple of videos on the Rode Youtube Channel. I also watched the preview that you did, Phil. Have you given the mics a trial run? What are your initial impressions of them? Has anyone recorded any samples of it?

I know that the Rode NT-5s are great mics, but they're a bit out of my budget, Would the M5's give a close enough professional sound?

Thanks in advance

• Members

Phil what do you mean they are "based " on the NT5?

Rode seems to use that word to describe them as well but the M5 is an electret mic as opposed to the NT5 which is a classic style non-polarized "true condenser" microphone. Except for being end address and small diaphragm I dont see any connection to speak of between them besides both being microphones made by Rode. Even physically they are both quite different in size. It's like saying a Mackie mic preamp is based on tube preamps from the 1950's cause they both amplify microphone signal to line level!?!

• Members

LSSD wrote:

Rode seems to use that word to describe them as well but the M5 is an electret mic as opposed to the NT5 which is a classic style non-polarized "true condenser" microphone. Except for being end address and small diaphragm I dont see any connection to speak of between them besides both being microphones made by Rode. Even physically they are both quite different in size. It's like saying a Mackie mic preamp is based on tube preamps from the 1950's cause they both amplify microphone signal to line level!?!

seems a bit of a stretch of analogies but whatever. The M5 are $200 for a pair. They are from Rode. A peek at the specs shows a lift in HF starting at about 4k so along with those facts will tell you most of what you need to know about these mics. I'd probably prefer them over any other $100 mic simply based on Rode's track record of build quality alone.  

LSSD wrote:

The statement was accurate as far as I knew when I posted that. I was under the impression that the NT5 was also an electret - apparently I was mistaken about that. My apologies. :o I suppose the form factor and the preamp are possibly what Rode was referring to when they said they're based on the NT5, but I do not know that for a fact either... but I will be inquiring about it before I complete the review.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for your impressions davie, I'm highly interessed on those mics for fingerstyle recording and I need to decide this till monday. My worry is about self noise (I like Gabriella Quevedo and Sungha Jung music and they place their microphones far from the guitar). I'm looking for 2 identical mics stereo to sound more natural (first options are M5 pair, NT5 or NT1 pair). I use AKG Perception 220 (left ear) and guitar pickup (right ear), I'm not a good player but there it is:

• Moderators

I think the Rode M5 should be fine for fingerpicking. Apparently Rode NT5's are a bit better, but they're in a higher price range. I've used the M5 on acoustic guitar but mainly strummed or picked using a plectrum, which I find perfect. I hope that's helpful.

Archived